Using DOS for CaRx

flagg37

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
I’m maxing out my kalkwasser dose and am looking at switching over or supplementing with a CaRx that I have but I’ve never used. I’ve got a good stainless steel dual stage regulator with a needle valve and solenoid but the only doser I have for the effluent is my DOS. I’ve seen people use them in an almost continuous fashion (two mins on two mins off) but wanted to see if anyone on here has done it.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
I havent used the DOS specifically but I use a BRS dosing pump for my CArx and it runs continuously 24/7. seeing how the DOS was made to do continuous water changes, I don't see any reason not to use it like that

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Some threads on the Neptune site. I know Terrance was using his for that. I think it goes on and off… and on and off… the dos is loud imho… so depending on where it is you may not want it running all the time.

Calcium reactors are great, I use one and love it. but is you are just getting to the point that kalkwasser isn’t cutting it a next step may be 2 part, particularly since you have a dos.

Can we get some more info about the system?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
DOS is not made for continuous duty, but some use them for that. Probably expect a year or two instead of a decade+ from a pump made to be continuous duty. Masterflex is the one that people use that is made for continuous duty and is industrial grade. Kamoer is priced more like a DOS and made for this job. Some reactors will even feed themselves - not all, so be careful. You might even be able to find an older Kangaroo which was masterflex before masterflex was masterflex - they are hospital grade and some needed a solder to make them stop beeping, but many received this and you can sometimes find them for sale.

I run mine off of maxijet, small quietone or even a mainline T. Got sick of a peri on mine. Aquamedic used to make a 3/4 mainline T that fit CaRx tubing, but I cannot find on with a quick internet search - might have to make your own if you want to go this way.

If you want a peri, Kaomer is probably a good place to start.

My standard CaRx advice: don't try and "control" it. pH probe is by far the weakest link in any setup and you can waste co2 and lower your tank pH too much by dumping co2 with a controller. Take the time to learn how to tune it and then you will be set for life - it is easy.

flagg37

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have the Vertex RX-C 6D. I don’t think this is one that feeds itself, although that sounds intriguing. I think I just need a continuous duty peristaltic pump. They’re just expensive.

The Hydros doser was maxing out at 500mL/day. I’m switching over to the DOS so that should buy me some time. The next barrier will be when I’m maxed out from evaporation.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Buy a quiet one 1200. There is a fitting in the box where you can slide in ice-maker or RO sized line, or you can use 2 part putty to make a fitting. This will work for quite some time and it is cheap and easy and you won't ruin a more expensive DOS by using it continuously. You will need a flow control pinch of mini ball valve to control the output.

flagg37

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Buy a quiet one 1200. There is a fitting in the box where you can slide in ice-maker or RO sized line, or you can use 2 part putty to make a fitting. This will work for quite some time and it is cheap and easy and you won't ruin a more expensive DOS by using it continuously. You will need a flow control pinch of mini ball valve to control the output.
Isn’t that an AC diaphragm pump? I’ve never seen a pump like that used for this application.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
It is a more reliable maxi-jet that has an adapter that fits RO tubing easily. They don't last forever, but I get 3-5 years out of them for $20-30 a pop.