Using T5s with a Canopy?

Does anybody have any experience with this? I have a monster 12 bulb 72" Aquatic Life fixture and was wondering how I would be able to use it with the canopy? I know heat is an issue but I am trying to wrap my brain around how to mount it?

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
I use a 4 bulb retrofit in my canopy but have used a fixture in it before. With the fixture though I had to take off the top lid on the canopy or lay the fixture on the glass. Needless to say it was kind of a hassle, but the retro fits kits are awesome especially with LET reflectors and ati ballasts. With the retro fit its just all mounted inside the top lid and so much easier. If you going with a canopy I would highly recommend looking into them
I know Andrew Bram also uses an 8 bulb retro in his

Last edited by a moderator:

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
It can be done as long as you have some fans blowing across the fixture, an open back or exhaust fan, and at least 1" of space between the fixture and the canopy.

fishguy69

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
zombie;343527 said:
It can be done as long as you have some fans blowing across the fixture, an open back or exhaust fan, and at least 1" of space between the fixture and the canopy.
Agreed!

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
yep agreed, no reason it cant be done, but air flow will be key

How will will the canopy sit flush on the tank? Won't the feet of the fixture be in the way? And if you were to hang or mount the fixture, would you not be able to open the top? Sorry for all the questions.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dont use the feet. The canopy wont sit right. The easiest way is to use some 2x4s screwed into the side of the canopy to hold the light 4-6" off the top of the tank and at least 1" below the top of the canopy. The picture below is a decent example

Then mount some computer fans so that there is always air circulating over the top of the fixture.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Yep that pretty much how I did mine when i used a fixture