Water Testing and Initial Setup

I'll be upfront and honest. I'm asking this because I'm lazy. I generally do my diligent research, but have too many questions and too little time to thoroughly research this all. I'm hoping that someone who has already done their research can simplify this for me.

1. Do I need RO/DI water for initial setup and cycling? I intend to get a setup, before I get into coral or fish.

2. What is everyone's preference on salt mix?

3. Would basic aquarium lighting (think freshwater) be adequate until I get corals?

4. Any preference on test kits?

5. What are the basics I will need for balancing the water parameters, and any preference on brands?

6. Refractometer preferences?

7. Best place to find the aforementioned products?

I will be setting up a 37gal tank which will later become a quarantine tank, treatment tank, or maybe just an alternate tank. I want to use this as a stepping stone to figure things out, while I finish getting my 75 together. I would prefer to do this as cheap as possible within reason. I don't like to do things twice. It will have a small hob skimmer and likely a modified hob filter converted to a fuge for chaeto. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
1. No, but it helps a lot

2. Depends on who you talk to.

3. Yes, but you will get more algae growth unless you run a spectrum 10k or higher.

4. Salifert or Red Sea are your best bets

5. Nothing until your coral demand gets high. BRS two part is cheap and effective once you need to start dosing

6. Doesnt matter. Just dont get some no name brand.

7. BRS or your local LFS

Last edited by a moderator:

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I think starting out with RODI is preferable so you don't have to worry about the phosphate issues later. It also depends on where you live as some have great water and others on wells have terrible water.

Salt: I prefer instant ocean or instant ocean reef crystals but have also used Red Sea Pro and really liked that too. Kent is okay in a pinch but not my salt of choice.

I would go with T-5 lighting for anything under 120 gallons and MH 120 and over. Start out at 10 K or higher and a mix of actinic.

If you're planning on corals get a quality dosing unit with 2-3 heads to two part if you get 3 heads you can dose magnesium as well. I would also have a plan to run carbon and GFO. Carbon helps with removing a variety of compounds that will yellow or discolor water and GFO helps with phosphates.

Always try to support our local shops but there are a lot of good online retailers as well.