Where to buy Fish

Just got back into the hobby recently and looking to see where everyone likes to buy there fish. Which sponsor or LFS stores do you guys like. Bought some fish from Neptunes, seem a little pricey but i also understand they quarantine their fish so it goes into the price. Just looking to see what other options there are.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Neptunes isnt bad, but ya pricey.
Other then that,
Aquamart
Aquatic art
and Coral Expressions (all sponsors) is where I have gotten most of my fish. I have a few too that I have gotten from members that were breaking down tanks.

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Where to buy Fish

No matter where you get your fish (even if they have already been quarantined), I would still recommend quarantining your fish. There are a few exceptions for fish that may be better off not going through quarantine, but overall it will save you a lot of trouble.

Edit: Keys Island also has fish that look to be in good health

Last edited by a moderator:

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
SkyShark;347700 said:
There are a few exceptions for fish that may be better off not going through quarantine, but overall it will save you a lot of trouble.
IME there should be no exceptions, even if it means setting up the quarantine in a non standard way (like sand in rubbermaid, cheato, etc). I lost half my fish once from a marine velvet outbreak that came from a mandarin that I though met the "exception" criteria.

fishguy69

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you're up north come and check us out... Thanks

V

quillin35

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have shopped everywhere in the denver area, never been up north so i cant say much for that area but aquatic arts has great prices. They are hard to beat

ayaws

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I live in Littleton so I don't head up north often. So I do most of my shopping at Aquatic Art and Neptunes.

I'd say Cris at AA has the cleanest tanks I've ever seen in a store -- no aiptasia, no algae, no detritus. It's truly impressive. I've had great luck with livestock bought there.

I've also had great luck with livestock bought at Neptune's!

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
In my opinion... Cris at Aquatic Art. Healthy livestock and unbeatable prices. He's a good guy and I've never been disappointed after a trip there... but my wallet is always lighter.

BrianH

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
clowninaround7474;347795 said:
In my opinion... Cris at Aquatic Art. Healthy livestock and unbeatable prices. He's a good guy and I've never been disappointed after a trip there... but my wallet is always lighter.
+1!!

ayaws

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Haha -- yep. Cris and AA do have a way of lightening my wallet every Friday/Saturday!

He's also one of the people I trust the most. When people get all feisty and ridiculous on the internet, I just ask him.

ayaws;347780 said:
I live in Littleton so I don't head up north often. So I do most of my shopping at Aquatic Art and Neptunes.

I'd say Cris at AA has the cleanest tanks I've ever seen in a store -- no aiptasia, no algae, no detritus. It's truly impressive. I've had great luck with livestock bought there.

I've also had great luck with livestock bought at Neptune's!
I prefer AA but i very recently saw aptasia in the main flat.

ayaws

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
just_tim;347800 said:
Say it ain't so! Still -- Cris & co do a phenomenal job of keeping the sale (and show) tanks clean and gorgeous.

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Where to buy Fish

just_tim;347800 said:
You'd be hard pressed to name 1 local shop (or even a shop anywhere in the country) that was 100% aptasia free!

Those damn aptasia hide and when you're not looking, BOOM you have 50!!

Last edited by a moderator:

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
ayaws;347802 said:
Say it ain't so! Still -- Cris & co do a phenomenal job of keeping the sale (and show) tanks clean and gorgeous.
Couldn't agree more

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
just_tim;347800 said:
LOL Aptasia cant be avoided even by the best. It will show up eventually unless you run a totally sterile tanks which would be completely boring. Everyone gets pests from time to time. I have seen AA get Monti nudis, flatworms and other pest but Cris always jumps on them and works to eradicate them asap. He also doesn't try and sell anything that he believes is carrying pests and if any get through he will make it right.

Just to be clear, i tjink AA is the best denver shop. I was in no way making a dig ar Chris. The point was just that pests are everywhere thus the need for qt.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Yep QT and Dip/scrub everything :)

we are lucky to live in colorado because we all have amazing vendors. Check out all the shops, follow them on this forum or other social media as they will update their stock. most of the good stuff are gone the first few days. I like to look at fish I can't have in my tank like the angelfish. The stores I like to visit frequently are aquatic art, aqua mart, elite reef, about fish, aqua imports, and every sponsor on this forum.