white pinhead dots on my zoas

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hi all, I'm new to MASC, but I've been reefing for about a year, so I'm not sure if I'm a newbie or not. :D
I've got an issue with my zoas that I'm hoping you guys might be able to help me with. I'm seeing some tiny white pin-sized dots on them, and they're not opening. I've looked at pics online, thinking maybe they had zoa pox, but it doesn't look like that to me because I can wipe them off easily. If they were under the skin, I shouldn't be able to do that, right?
The tank they're in is a 150gal mixed reef (plus a 75 gal fuge) with both LEDs and MH lights. My water parameters are near-perfect (amm/ni/na at 0, ph steady at 8.2, temp steady at 80, ca at 400, alk at 10). I have an auto topoff, so salinity stays steady at 1.026, too. I test and dose ca and alk regularly (every day, every other day). I also dose vodka every day.
Ideas, anyone? What do I do? I don't want these zoas to die, because they weren't cheap, and I don't want my other corals to get 'infected'.

FinsUp

M.A.S.C Club Member
LOL.. I knew you'd ask that. Let me see if I can get a good one. I'll post it as soon as I do. Would zoa pox be easy to wipe off?

ailachami

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
i had zoa pox before. like you described. my zoas were closed up with white pin dots. easy to cure. just buy furan-2, i got the powder kind with 10 packages in a box, one packet for 8oz new saltwater and soak for 15-20 minutes. then wash with tank water. do three days in a row. then rest one week and repeat three more days.

ailachami

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
btw i find its easier if you put the powder and saltwater in a small ziploc bag and mix. then just put the frags in it.

FinsUp

M.A.S.C Club Member
That's a great idea! Never would have thought about using a ziploc bag to mix/dose. I was just about ready to set up the Coral ER (a 5 gal bucket I use for a QT tank).

dvenson

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Are the dots in a spiral or horseshoe shape, if so it could be zoa eating nudi`s. Have you added any new zoanthids lately?

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I do not think that is Zoa Pox looks more like sand. Give them more flow and see what happens

FinsUp

M.A.S.C Club Member
YUP! Changed pumps, and that fixed it! I was worried about nothing (scared of my own sand, for petesake). Thanks, guys!

:wall: