ZGrow I - A.L. Rainbows

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ok, here's the new thread for our first ZGrow (Zoa Grow) contest. Stay tuned for ZGrow - II!!

Please post up you initial photos here.

Good luck everyone, I've also moved the rules to this posting, so we'll lock down the other thread.

HUGE Thanks to:

http://www.gonzoscoralfrags.com/

Contestants:

View attachment 18001

Missed payment deadline (sorry guys):
tmans

Rules:

1. Entry fee is $20, this covers your cost of the frag, and puts $$ in the pool for the winner(s). Winner pot is $75.
2. Frags will be cut and provided by GonzosCoralFrags.com, and randomly numbered. Once numbered, you'll randomly be assigned a number, and pickup your frag. There will be no cherry picking, all luck of the draw. We'll label each cup with a head count once I get them from Josh, if you disagree with what is on it, you have 48 hours to post up a picture and protest to the thread.
3. Each contestant must post lighting information upon start of contest. I'm hoping we learn something from this, maybe/maybe not?
4. Each contestant must post a photo of their frag within 48 of contest start/time or you receive your frag.
5. Each contestant must post a picture each time additional heads (not babies) are easily visible in tank. While I'm hoping everyone will be honest, this will help keep things on the up n up I hope! If you don't post up any pictures of growth and show up with 10 heads in the end, you're not going to win.
6. Each contestant must post a final picture to be counted by the deadline of day 90: Picture(s) of your final frag must be up by Friday, May 16, 2014 at 7:00pm. This is 90 days from Saturday. You can post them up before that if needed. But anything after that will not be counted.
7. Andrew_bram is final judge in deciding Head or Baby in pictures if needed.
8. Winner must perform simple write up of their tank setup (ie parms, feeding techniques, etc)
9. Grow time will be 90 days from delivery of frags.
10. If your frag melts, post up so we know you're out. Maybe the winner will frag you a head :)
11. If your frag comes off it's plug, you can re-attach, but you must post up additional picture once re-attached within 48 hours.
12. Frags can be moved within your tank at your discretion. Just be prepared to share what worked in the end.
13. Contestants not following the rules may be disqualified. Let's not have to use this!
14. Winner(s) will split pot evenly, currently at $75.
15. Definitions: Baby is considered any closed polyp, or any where you cannot see face and developed skirt in the same photo. Head is considered any polyp where a face and skirt is easily visible.
16. Scoring based on final net grow = ending points - starting points. Each contestant did start with 1 head, and no baby heads.

Example:
Person A starts with 1 head, and 1 baby = 1.5 points
Person A ends with 4 heads, 0 baby = 4 points
Person A net grow is = 2.5

Person B starts with 1 head, and 0 baby = 1 points
Person B ends with 3 heads, 1 baby = 3.5 points
Person B net grow is = 2.5

Person C starts with 1 head, and 0 baby = 1 points
Person C ends with 3 heads, 2 baby = 4 points
Person C net grow is = 3

Winner C

17. Payment:

Everyone is paid up!

18. Frag assignment:

Each frag was fragged with a single head, therefore each person has 1 point to start.

19. Pickup Date: Saturday Feb 15th - CONFIRMED

20. Route/Times:

I'm driving a Silver Toyota Tundra truck

A: Gonzo's Saturday 11:00am - 11:30am
B: I-25 & Route 66 - Shell/7 Eleven - 14015 Mead St, Longmont, CO 80504 12:30 - 12:50pm
C: I-25 and Highway 7 - Starbuck's Coffee - 16765 Washington St, Broomfield, CO 80023 1:15 - 1:35pm
D: Denver - Auraria Street Circle K gas station by Elitch Gardens Entrance - 1500 7TH St Denver, CO 80204 2:00 - 2:20pm
E: I-25 & Belleview - Cool River Cafe Parking lot - 8000 E Belleview Ave, Greenwood Village, CO 80111 2:40 - 3:00pm
F: I-25 & Lincoln - Chilli's lot - 10460 Park Meadows Dr, Littleton, CO‎ 80124 3:15 - 3:35pm
H: Munch's house 16275 Plover Place, Parker CO 80134 4:00pm Saturday, 11:00am Sunday - Otherwise PM me other time and we'll do it.

Munch aka Scott cell number: 303.506.8790

21. $20 Guess the Winning Head Count Bonus:

We're doing a lucky guess draw for contestants as well.
Winner pot is still $75.
So $20 goes to person closest guessing the actual point total for the winning frag without going over, and we're talking net grow points.
So if they start with 1 head (1 point), and end up with 5 heads and a baby (5.5 points), their net grow is 4.5. If you guess 5, you're over and out. Any that guess 4.5 win and split, if nobody guessed 4.5, then 4.0 would win, then 3.5, etc until we hit a winner.
So post up your net grow guess and I'll update page 1 with it.
Again, multiple winners will split $20.

22. First to melt Bonus:

And, to make it fun, well maybe not in this case, I decided to toss in another $10 for the first to actually melt theirs! So if you have the mis-fortune, and don't mind the shame, post up should yours melt - and you win!

First to lose: Pisces II

Single polyp of:

Last edited by a moderator:

J.guokas

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
Here's my first pics. They are in my 30 gallon aio tank under a kessil a350w with blues at 80% and whites at 60%.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
If everyone can post of what lighting they have LED vs MH T5 and the brand if there is one or DIY, I think I'm going to track growth with comparison to lights.

I think it'll be interesting that we'll all starting with a frag on the same day essentially.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Also, send me your guesses for the head count of the winner. I had to dump my inbox, as it was full. So I may have lost a few. If you don't see a count next to your name in this thread, shoot me your number! We have a few duplicates, which is fine, but if you want to change to a unique number, just let me know. I'd like to finalize these by Monday.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
One last post from me :) If you find you have a baby (tonight), post it up with your pic, and I'll update your initial count. Otherwise we're all starting with 1.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
ZGrow I - A.L. Rainbows

I'll guess 7.5
Alk 7.5
Calcium 500
I run 2 250 watt 14k halide three hours with 2 t5 and three Chinese led that I use for mostly the blue.

Blindrage

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
150 Gallon tank, with 4 T5 lights and 2 250w 14k MHs. T5s run about 9 hours a day. MHs run 6 hours a day.

Opening Pic added Feb 15th

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
30 gallon - power compacts 1x96w 420/1x96w 10k, HOB Reef Octo BH-100, flow=340

2/15

kutcha

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
40 gallon tank using a IT-2060 till i upgrade you my 180 gallon tank going to have radions over it

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Rumen;294519 said:
Mines was 5.5

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Thanks for the reminder, I'll miss some - so I someone doesn't see one by their name (or if it's wrong), just reply or PM me, I'll get em all in! :)

Rumen

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
View attachment 17738 30 gallon running on ai sol super blue 8 hours a day

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
2babys and a bump
3/18/14
three head and a bump plus mamma get there slowly but surely 4/4/14

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Tank Size: 75 gallon
Lights: 2x 120w 20k Evolution Leds, 2x 54w (48") Coralife Actinic T5s, (48" )24 watt Stunner LED 445nm Blue, 5x 3w Cree DIY led.
Skimmer: non-existant

Pic taken 02.15.14

Pics from 02.25.15

Pics from 03.10.14

Jeremiah

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Innovative Marine 24" Skkye light LED
3 Cycle Illumination
14K Daylight - 12x1w
456nm Sunrise/Sunset - 12x1w