Zoa and Paly pests

So one of my paly heads are starting to curl in on one side, I moved them to look for pest but couldn't see anything, now one of my zoa's is doing the same, what should I do? I read about dips, but I don't know if it's best for them. I'll upload a pic when my phone charges.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
How long have you had them. What are your tank parameters. What equipment do you have? What have you changed recently?

About a month, I just pulled the frag out and cleaned some debris off it maybe that was it, I haven't changed really anything but my salt level spiked, South Broadway Tropical was wrong about it and I should have tested it before hand again, I looks like somethings eating the paly really but there's no where it could hide, I looked everywhere!

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
You won't likely get any good help unless you post your parameters and equipment. We need clues. Also, the spike level of the salinity might help too - how high did it get.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
As stated above, need more info. Parameters, livestock, picture of the problem.

However, my money is on flow patterns. I had several palys tilt to one side or curl before I got an apex and set my pumps to tide cycles and random flow. Only those that were in a somewhat laminar area of the flow showed those signs.

Optimists say the glass is half full. Pessimists say the glass is half empty. Engineers say the glass is twice the size that it needs to be.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
look at them really closely and see if you see any tiny zoa eating nudibranchs. They absorb the zooanthellae of what they eat, and often change colors because of that. If your zoas/palys close up under blues or at night, that's the best time to search for them with a flashlight. They're in the rough vicinity of .25 inches, and sometimes glow brightly with the color of the last zoas they were eating, or have little/no color at all. For images of them, google 'zoa eating nudibranch'

Once again my tank solved itself, what ever was eating the palys stopped and its healing now, I'll test my water in a bit and get that up here, thanks! I looked at midnight everywhere for the nudibranchs and other pests/eggs of pests, couldn't find anything... I might try a dip, what are some best brands?

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
If they were being eaten-on, they would not likely look good again in one day. Tissue would be missing and that takes time to heal. Your problem is likely elsewhere like in your tank parameters or equipment. I might suggest that you focus on knowing your parameters and getting them in check if they are not. Also, lights and flow can matter to any coral - even Z&P.

CoralRx is a fine dip. You can make your own home-brew if you want using anything from tea tree oil, bayer yard insecticide, iodine and many other things - there are threads all over the national board about them if you want to look.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ive had good luck with seachem reef dip coral disinfectant as well. Costs a little bit less and lasts a lot longer. Lugols is also a good choice since it works well as a dip but can also be used as an iodine supplement for the main tank.

Optimists say the glass is half full. Pessimists say the glass is half empty. Engineers say the glass is twice the size that it needs to be.