1.033!!!

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Went to Vince's yesterday to get my water checked out. Wanted to make sure everything was good for the grow contest coming up. Had a few zoas melt, others have been doing great, my candy canes coral has been looking great, but still wanted to double check my stats.

Nitrates: 10
Nitrites: 0
Phosphates: 1.3
SG: 1.033

So somewhat elevated nitrates and phosphates, I have a piece of LR I pulled out of the tank today that I've had from my first tank build in 2005 that I think was leaching phosphates (it's been the major producer of hair algae in the tank).

SG of 1.033? Found a few things that led to this:
1) My buckets aren't measuring 5 gallons exactly. Measured 16 cups into a 1 gallon bucket and then measured 5 gallons into my 5, where it shows 5 gallons is under what actually was.
2) My hydrometer measured my tank water (1.033) at 1.030. When I measured out 1 gallon and mixed it to 1.026 per manufacturer instructs my hydrometer measures it at...1.030. So I added a refractometer to the list of things to get in the next couple of days.

Changed out 6 gallons this morning with 1.026 measured from the instructions NOT my hydrometer!

xxHLTxx

Detritus
M.A.S.C Club Member
i use one of the floating hydrometers with a thermometer on it. Definitely isn't as accurate as a refract but mine comes pretty darn close for having it over a year. I keep it in FW in my ATO chamber to keep it clean and to prevent breaking, but i tested mine vs a refrac and it was .001 off so I'm ok with that for now... but i definitely wouldn't trust the plastic ones!! LoL

crazy the corals are doing good (minus the zoas) with the SG that high!! just remember not to drop it down too quickly too

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I've had a few new polyps in the last few weeks even and clowns/wrasse have been doing great. Definitely not sure y it's that high but trust Vince's electric doodad over the plastic swing arm any day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ailachami;294238 said:
If you are in aurora, I have an extra refractometer you can have. Calibrated too.
I'll be down for the meet on 22 at elite. I could stop by or see u there?

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Munch;294243 said:
Ya, hydrometers are horribly inaccurate.
I actually have 2 that I switched between, different brands, and when I checked them this morning both were having same problem...lesson learned, buy the expensive stuff up front.

ailachami

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Miah2bzy;294259 said:
I'll be down for the meet on 22 at elite. I could stop by or see u there?

I won't be able to go to the meet. If someone in aurora is going and can pick it up for you.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
If not I can swing by before or after if that works. Thanks!

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
ailachami;294278 said:
I won't be able to go to the meet. If someone in aurora is going and can pick it up for you.
Ya Kenny doesnt some to meetings anymore :(

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Miah2bzy;294232 said:
Went to Vince's yesterday to get my water checked out. Wanted to make sure everything was good for the grow contest coming up. Had a few zoas melt, others have been doing great, my candy canes coral has been looking great, but still wanted to double check my stats.

Nitrates: 10
Nitrites: 0
Phosphates: 1.3
SG: 1.033

So somewhat elevated nitrates and phosphates, I have a piece of LR I pulled out of the tank today that I've had from my first tank build in 2005 that I think was leaching phosphates (it's been the major producer of hair algae in the tank).

SG of 1.033? Found a few things that led to this:
1) My buckets aren't measuring 5 gallons exactly. Measured 16 cups into a 1 gallon bucket and then measured 5 gallons into my 5, where it shows 5 gallons is under what actually was.
2) My hydrometer measured my tank water (1.033) at 1.030. When I measured out 1 gallon and mixed it to 1.026 per manufacturer instructs my hydrometer measures it at...1.030. So I added a refractometer to the list of things to get in the next couple of days.

Changed out 6 gallons this morning with 1.026 measured from the instructions NOT my hydrometer!
I had the same problem a while back. Used my hydrometer and thought my tank was at 1.025 and every new zoa I got melted a few days after putting it in. When I finally got a refractometer my salinity was 1.030. I would not use a hydrometer unless you measure water known to be 1.026 to get the offset regularly. Honestly just get a refractomer. Its well worth the 30-40 bucks.

To solve the high salinity problem take very small amounts of your tank water out and replace with pure RO water (no salt) and measure tank salinity daily with a refractometer. For you size tank I would do 2 cups a day until the salinity is right. You may want more or less than than, but the basic idea is that you dont want your salinity changing more then 0.001 in a week or you may shock your current inhabitants that have gotten used to the elevated salinity. Of course any water changes should be done with 1.026 salinity, but keep them small at first so you dont get too large of a salinity change in a short period of time.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Been doing 5 gallons a week at 1.026 and so far only minimal stress on some Zoas but everything else is good. 1.028 as of last Friday.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
1.025 as of yesterday. Been holding steady there for a few days now.
Thanks for the help everyone!!!