28g JBJ Nano build....110g coming soon!

ShelbyJK500

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
**PIC'S INTENSE** (meant to add this to the title, mea culpa!)

Well, I can't take credit for the whole "build" on this Nano. I did purchase it semi-complete, everything but fish and some inverts. I already had my 110g build in full swing, but got the bug and my better half and I wanted to get some experience prior to the bigger tank. So a reef based nite-lite was in store.

This is still my first venture into the Saltwater/Reef world!! So bear with me on my first build thread. Thankfully, I've had freshwater for most of my life except about the last 8 years. I'd always wanted a Saltwater tank, so here I am. A BIG bonus to this...my better half is just as dedicated and excited about this new hobby as me (maybe more!).

When I picked this up, it had a good build-up of algae on the glass...which has been cleaned up to now for the most part. It had some kenya trees, candy canes, pulsing xenia (my fav) and some unknown (to me) zoa's it looks like. So here it was in it's initial glory...(being moved in)

Several hours later (cloudiness subsiding)

MANY more pics to come as this progressed...

Last edited by a moderator:

ShelbyJK500

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
So a short time later after checking to make sure all the param's were good after the move...it was off to add some livestock!! Picked up some hermits and two turbo snails at LFS...

AND...of course, Wicked came through with a smooth transaction and great advice/teaching for free. ;) As most know he was selling off most everything due to a move. I adopted his two mated Clowns!! (still haven't found the perfect names yet) And had to pick up a couple corals while there too...but it was slim pickin's by then. Still got an awesome Armor of God frag, frogspawn, a long lps branch (can't remember what it was called) and got them all home!!

In they go...

The AOG opened within minutes! I was jazzed.

Clowns getting used to home...

AND of course...my puppy was completely freaked out by the new edition's to the bedroom!

ShelbyJK500

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Within a couple days, some discoveries began. First it was some serpent stars (had to look them up, thought they were worms at first...no pics :( ) Then I saw this guy hiding in a rock. Freaked me out at first...had to get the flashlight out, as you can tell, just to figure out what was going on in this rock! Then I started tracking him a bit.

Then, more things started popping up...these mushrooms shot up FAST for the size they are now. They weren't even visible on the rock when the tank got started.

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Great looking tank, congrats!

ShelbyJK500

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
KhensuRa;104007 said:
Great looking tank, congrats!
Thanks!! I haven't even gotten into my new aquascape. :) (will be up in a few minutes though) Being a complete NEWB to the marine hobby...the first look was a bit dull and definitely had the feel of rocks just being thrown on top of one another.

ShelbyJK500

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
So with the dull initial setup gone now...I'm very happy & content with the new "scape". Here it is...cloudy of course from pulling up all the rock. I ended up finding 'less was more' having pulled out several pieces of liverock to make this work.

The next afternoon after everything settled! MUCH better, IMHO. :D

Love my clowns paired up...they really need something to host though!! ;)

ShelbyJK500

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
So my last and final addition to the "nite lite" as far as bio-load..."Crush"!! We went with a Spotted Mandarin since he eats frozen food, should the pod population start to suffer. I'm not running a refugium on this nano, but if need be I might throw some macro algae in the back and add pods to that area. We'll see how it works over some time.

BUILD COMPLETE!! The only future additions will be a fire shrimp, possibly an emerald crab and more frags!

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I sure hope he keeps eating frozen for you!