40g breeder tank build

Boogie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Me thinks he is going to build a skimming box around the drain and possibly make it a durso style. Least thats what he and I chit chatted about.

Looks good imo.

my .02c I would also connect the tubes with a front section.

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I dont understand why i would need to close it all the way around. I have seen people run a single spray bar across the back with no issues. here are a couple pics of the finished return plumbing.
[attachment=59726:name]

Critiquing welcome:)

Boogie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I would connect it in the front so the spray from the back and the sides doesn't trap film towards the front panel is the only reason I thought to...I dunno though, i fall down alot.

othercents

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Off The Deep End;91365 said:
I dont understand why i would need to close it all the way around. I have seen people run a single spray bar across the back with no issues.
Absolutely no requirement in it. I think the reason is because the end caps will have more pressure and typically more flow coming from them than if you finished the loop all the way around. The fish probably wouldn't notice the difference and since your pipe is inside the tank then leaving it short will keep it out of the front view.

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
rockys_pride;91373 said:
Put some sort of filter (mesh/foam) over the pipe, that way no snails or fish get in there. Unless that's one of the steps you've already thought of

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Lol Jamie i guess im 2 steps ahead of you on this one but thanks for looking out! I already have the filter im going to use, its more porous so it wont get clogged as easy but not big enough that a small snail could get through

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Boogie;91384 said:
I would connect it in the front so the spray from the back and the sides doesn't trap film towards the front panel is the only reason I thought to...I dunno though, i fall down alot.
I think im going to water test it as is but if it does trap in the front then i will connect it, im trying to keep the front clean of pvc:)

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
othercents;91386 said:
Absolutely no requirement in it. I think the reason is because the end caps will have more pressure and typically more flow coming from them than if you finished the loop all the way around. The fish probably wouldn't notice the difference and since your pipe is inside the tank then leaving it short will keep it out of the front view.

Exactly! the endcaps are pointed across the front of the tank with holes in the ends of them to make more surface flow across the front:)

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I got the plumbing done, so my next question is if i full the tank and sump with RO water and everything checks out with no leaks, can i just add salt directly to the tank since there will be nothing in there but water? I could add the salt in a high flow area and turn my skimmer on then wait a day or two to get my salinity dialed in...

Boogie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
If its wrong, I didn't do it to mine. If its ok, thats exactly what I did with the 125....

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Adding water! Here is a pic of the spraybar working perfectly:) [attachment=59729:name]

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
That is cool. I sort of did something like that years ago on my cichlid tank but I ran the PVC under the sand and had several places where the water pushed all the poo off the sand. Killed all my dead spots.

Boogie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Lookin good. Nice and clean. Just rmember you showed me this when its time to plumb into my basement...