60 Gallon Custom Rimless

tlo25

Turbo Snail
dv3;102600 said:
your not allowed to drill a hole in the floor an you think she is going to let you cut a 6 foot hole in the wall?....lol

stand looks nice though
LOL, you're right Don I'll have to figure something out before it comes time to cross that bridge. She did say I can do whatever I want in the man cave.

tlo25

Turbo Snail

Couple of pics on progress, nothing that cool though :( got the RO/DI unit all fixed up and making water. Got the Mak 4 circulating water through sump. I had heard Mak 4s were loud and I figured since it was a basement sump it would be ok but damn... thing sounds like a hammer drill. I swear I can hear it 3 stories up in the bedroom. I also really need to clean up the electrics, been slowly adding equipment as I go along and now it's looking like a tangled mess. Need a GFCI and some power strips.

Some early life pics.
Pretty big bristleworm

There are dozens of these. I couldn't get a good picture they were shy at the time I had the camera. If you look close at the right edge of the rock you can see a couple arms. I think they are some sort of serpent star.

Pretty ordinary stuff but I'm still amazed at how I can sit there and be entertained with just a vat of rock.

ShelbyJK500

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
tlo25;103314 said:
Pretty ordinary stuff but I'm still amazed at how I can sit there and be entertained with just a vat of rock.
x2...I just had my first serpent star pop up in my tank!! I guess it's the newbie excitement. ;) First mushroom as well, and a copepod explosion...I'm happy!

tlo25

Turbo Snail

Got the tank set, plumbed, and filled with sand/water. There are so many little things that needed to be buttoned up to get the tank filled and circulating with the sump. If I could do it again I would have gave myself more time, it took me about 12 hours on Sunday, including running around getting misc. parts to get the tank filled and circulating. It was a late night and by the time I was done, the feeling was pretty ant-climatic because I was so worn out. The good news is, with all the extra preparation, there has been no leaks in the past couple days. I didn't take any pics of the full tank because it was a bit cloudy.

Set in place.

Ready to go.

Filled with sand, mixture of 1-1.5mm sand and 5mm coral to hopefully keep sand storms to a minimum.

Let it rain!

the_fish_man

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Awesome loolong great!

tlo25

Turbo Snail

Everything cleared up, skimmer is skimming, water parameters still stable, think I'm gonna get some CUC today! Dealing with a flow issue right now, cant get more than ~150ghp turnover through the sump will have to modify some of the plumbing to fix it I think. The tank is going to be visible from 3 sides and I wanted to keep a deep, wide look with the scape with a few height changes. Lights aren't up yet so had to use a table lamp sitting above tank for pics.

Front of tank.

Left side.

Right side.

Skimmer is bigger in the sump than I expected at least I know I have enough skimming.

tlo25

Turbo Snail

Lights up and some livestock in tank!! Went with the Maxspect G2 LED lights with 90 Degree Optics. I am happy with how the tank looks. I was worried it may look too blue or purple but it is just about right to me. The pics are a pretty close representation of what the coloration looks like. Went to the store to get a few Chromis to put in the tank, the wife went with me and talked me into these instead.

Maxspect unit hung over tank.

Hard to get a good pic without the white reflecting off things.

The new inhabitants, they were moving a lot and I wasn't patient enough to get a good pic.

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
looks good but ummm i think you forgot something ...didnt you just add water 3 days days ago?

tlo25

Turbo Snail
I've had my rock and sand cycling in tubs for 9 weeks. Everything was transfered into the tank last weekend. I still have 0 Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates.

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I sure love the look of your tank, I think large cubes are my favorite.

Due mind telling me what the cost of this tank was? Just the tank, as I see you made your own cabinet.

tlo25

Turbo Snail
KhensuRa;105193 said:
I sure love the look of your tank, I think large cubes are my favorite.

Due mind telling me what the cost of this tank was? Just the tank, as I see you made your own cabinet.
The tank alone was 650 with the overflow and fittings (bulkheads, standpipe, return) installed, from ADHI. They did a pretty job, there are some minor imperfections but nothing I can't live with. I went with them because I wanted to go with a local builder.

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
A large cube is my new dream tank. They look sexy as hell...

tlo25

Turbo Snail
Over Due Update

This thread needs an update, I've been super busy at work and haven't had a chance to update. I've added some chromis and a psuedochromis and some corals they have all been doing well in the tank. I have been keeping parameters at 450 Ca 8.5 DKH and 1400 Mag. I dose kalk water as top-off and also 2 tsp of baking soda every 3 days 5% water change per week does the rest. Some pics.

Some Tank Shots

Misc. Acros

Zoas

Borealis and Frog Spawn

The Acro on the right was a freshly cut browned out mystery when I bought it. It's starting to encrust and color up blue.

Hard to get a good pic of this one. Bought it as a Red Planet... it's really green.