65 Gallon Frag Tank Build

amonchak

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C Treasurer
Well I thought it was time begin the new frag tank......

The tank is a 65 Gallong acrylic (48" X 20" X 16").

Stand built from 2 X 4 and MDF for the top.

Stand will be painted white with appliance epoxy white spray paint. I plan to use the styrofoam insulation between the tank and the stand to be sure there are no pressure points that could damage the acrylic.

More to come, Stay tuned.

amonchak

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C Treasurer
Stand is painted.......moving to the basement and plumbing comes next.

the_fish_man

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Pics......

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Can you give me a little info on the sump in the pic and how you are organizing it? thanks

the_fish_man

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
amonchak;106780 said:
Just for you fish_man

Nice looks great can't wait to see some water in there :)

amonchak

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C Treasurer
I bought the sump from another reefer and it has 4 sections with double glass baffles siliconed into place inbetween each section.

From right to left I am thinking --

1st = inlet (this chamber is very narrow and mostly a bubble trap I think)
2nd = Fuge or LS and LR area
3rd = Skimmer chamber or more LR / other filtration like a phosban reactor......maybe mangroves (all depends on if I use my in sump skimmer or HOB Remora).
4th = Return Pump

This is all subject to change but right now that is the plan.

HTH

Adam, its looking good. It looks like you have a low-voltage can right behind the tank. Depending on the type, the cans and parts inside can rust easy. You may want to put up a sheet of plywood to keep the evaporation from killing your phone and cable.

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
amonchak;106794 said:
I bought the sump from another reefer and it has 4 sections with double glass baffles siliconed into place inbetween each section.

From right to left I am thinking --

1st = inlet (this chamber is very narrow and mostly a bubble trap I think)
2nd = Fuge or LS and LR area
3rd = Skimmer chamber or more LR / other filtration like a phosban reactor......maybe mangroves (all depends on if I use my in sump skimmer or HOB Remora).
4th = Return Pump

This is all subject to change but right now that is the plan.

HTH
Sounds like a good plan. If you decide that you want a 3 chamber sump LMK.. assuming thats a 20L.

othercents

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I would put the skimmer before the fuge. The reason for that is you want all the good things that come from the fuge to go to the display instead of being taken out of the tank. Typically you have inlet, skimmer, fuge, then return. Skimmer could be a larger area than the fuge depending on what size skimmer you are using.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
othercents;106831 said:
I would put the skimmer before the fuge. The reason for that is you want all the good things that come from the fuge to go to the display instead of being taken out of the tank. Typically you have inlet, skimmer, fuge, then return. Skimmer could be a larger area than the fuge depending on what size skimmer you are using.
+1

amonchak

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C Treasurer
I thought of that but the way the chambers work out the skimmer may only fit in the third chamber. I am thinking of using the HOB remora at this point anyways so the 2nd and 3rd chambers will be a double fuge.

othercents

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
amonchak;106857 said:
I thought of that but the way the chambers work out the skimmer may only fit in the third chamber. I am thinking of using the HOB remora at this point anyways so the 2nd and 3rd chambers will be a double fuge.
+1 double fuge. Or fuge and then rocks in the smaller chamber.

amonchak

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C Treasurer
othercents;106965 said:
+1 double fuge. Or fuge and then rocks in the smaller chamber.
I thinks the chambers would allow the in sump skimmer as I was mixed up before but I think a double fuge or more LR is the way to go. Thanks for all the input all.

amonchak

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C Treasurer
Update...Water and LR in. Shouldn't be a cycle since the LR was cured but just in case I have one tester frag ready and will give the tank a week or so to stabilise.

Lights go up later tonight or tomorrow!

On a not so great note the mag 7 I have that I was planning on using appears to have a broken volute and shaft $%#@!!!!! Anyone have a similar submersible pump laying around?

the_fish_man

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a red sea max 130 stock pump you can have but doubt it will be enough but I you want it feel free to take it.