90 Gallon. Too many fish?

sweat044

Butterfly Fish
I was wondering if I had too many fish in my tank? If not what would be a good addition?

Scopas Tang
Kole Tang
Pair of Black Clowns
2- Pj Cardinals
Six Line wrasse​

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I don't think you have too many, but not sure on what to add. How long has the tank been setup?

sweat044

Butterfly Fish
It has been setup for about 2 months. All the fish came from another tank. They have grown up together since they were little.

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
The general rule of thumb for how to stock a fish tank is, 1 inch of fish (completely grown) per gallon of water. Again, just a rule of thumb, as filtration, water changes, etc. all play into what how you can stock your tank.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I wouldn't add anything for a while. I would probably try and give the tank another couple months to settle in. I know it's not easy, but at least you have some nice fish to look at now.

303travism

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have like 14 fish in my 90 lol and never noticed a problem
Naso blonde tang
Yellow tang
Copperband
3 clowns 2 b&w and 1 reg
6 line wrasse
Cleaner wrasse
4 firefish
Royal gramma
Mandarin goby
Yellow clown goby
Diamond goby
Ok 16 my bad lol!

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
303travism;165410 said:
Naso blonde tang
Yellow tang
Copperband
3 clowns 2 b&w and 1 reg
6 line wrasse
Cleaner wrasse
4 firefish
Royal gramma
Mandarin goby
Yellow clown goby
Diamond goby
Ok 16 my bad lol!
And your NO3 and PO4 test at? Water change schedule? What is your form of export? How often do you feed and how much?

303travism

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I never test, I try to do about a 15-20% water change every week and export with cheato in the fug I feed about every other day alternating flake with brine and mysis and spot feed coral with the same and reef chili

MartinsReef

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a

mandarin
royal grama
scopas tang
pair clowns
pair of dragon pipes
lawn mower blenny
six line wrasse

Thats 9 fish in a heavy stocked sps tank not to mention 6 different shrimp and many crabs.

In a 90 cube. the only thing I can think of is you may have a problem with two tang in a 90 as they get bigger.

djkms- I do a 15% water change ever 90 days that is it! I run a ASM-G3x skimmer one gfo reactor and two carbon reactors, and I feed every day frozen, pellets, IO gel pack and nori. I dose calcium/alk/mag twice a week!

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
303travism;165410 said:
Naso blonde tang
Yellow tang
Copperband
3 clowns 2 b&w and 1 reg
6 line wrasse
Cleaner wrasse
4 firefish
Royal gramma
Mandarin goby
Yellow clown goby
Diamond goby
Ok 16 my bad lol!
man that naso tang is gonna get 18 inches long. I want one bad but that beast will knock everything over just trying to eat lol

303travism

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Cherub;165427 said:
man that naso tang is gonna get 18 inches long. I want one bad but that beast will knock everything over just trying to eat lol
Haha it's my wife's favorite fish so I know when it gets bigger I can talk her in to another tank UPGRADE!!!

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hey im not knocking it! Thats just a lot of fish for a 90 and was curious to what Travis's routine was. I have around 16 fish in my 125 (160 gallons total water volume) and I really really struggled with nutrients until I started carbon dosing.

303travism

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
djkms;165431 said:
Hey im not knocking it! Thats just a lot of fish for a 90 and was curious to what Travis's routine was. I have around 16 fish in my 125 (160 gallons total water volume) and I really really struggled with nutrients until I started carbon dosing.
I'm an exception to the rule lol I run a skimmer maybe for and hour once a week only when I notice the water looking a little THICK!!!

lpsouth1978@msn.com

Users with zero posts needing moderation to determine if they are spam bots
In my 90 I have:

2 b&w clowns
1 green chromis
1 lawnmower blenny
1 six line wrasse
1 Blue hippo tang
and getting ready to order some anthias and maybe a dwarf angel (I really want a potters).
I also have 1 RBTA and 2 Maxi Mini Carpets that I feed twice a week.

I do a 20% water change about once a month, do not dose, and feed twice daily (my own mix of red and green seaweed, brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, clam meat, squid, Selcon, and garlic. I just tested my params last night, I will be doing a water change either tonight or tomorrow, and they were as follows:

pH = 8.3
Ammonia = 0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 0
Phosphate = 0
Calc = 380
dKh = 9

I think the only reason I have these results, while feeding A LOT, is that I have enough filtering capacity for a MUCH larger tank. I have a 90 sump/fuge and run an ASM G3 skimmer 24 hours a day. My total water volume is about 150 gallons.

Rebel

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
I realize that this is a month old, but Chris asks a very important and relevant question--routines and general set-up. I always wonder at "1-inch per gallon" rules and such that we all learned in the beginning, and then posts like this about a particular stocking situation. Most people only hear tank size and start thinking what sort of fish and how many. We see it everywhere. But there are waaaaaay too many variables in every system, and a huge one is maintenance routines. Someone could keep thirty fish in a 90 if they changed the water every few days, etc. You get the idea.

Me, at CHS, I have to keep things fairly conservative. I hear 16 fish in a 90 or even a 125 and I cringe. Not because I don't think it could/should be done--to each his own--but because of the time allocations and situation for my particular tank. I do not get to see it every day like you guys--I don't get to micromanage it like I used to my tanks at home. It sits in the library at CHS and often goes days without my attention--even weeks in the summer sometimes. So even though it is a 225 with a TWV of about 300, it has nine fish--only two that I would consider large fish: a tomingi tang and a regal angel (17 months and eating like a pig!). I am considering adding another fish--a CBB--but am hesitant not because of the tank's capabilities, but because of the regimen I know I am capable of maintaining. That's the key factor for me, and I think these sort of concepts need to be considered when addressing topics like this.

With a 90 that's only 2 months old, I would definitely wait and let things settle in. Monitor not just the tank but your own habits and routines. If you are able to maintain a good, solid maintenance schedule (over a long haul) and are adept at recognizing signs of aggression, overcrowding, stress, etc--then by all means choose a new member of the box. Something about the size of a pygmy angel would be a good idea.

Cheers