acan trouble

nathanpeter

Detritus
M.A.S.C Club Member
alright im in need of some help. I have an acan that has bleached out. my tank has been set up for 10 months-to a year. im running power compact in a 10 gal nano. the temp runs 78-80. calsium is about 350 ppm. no nitrites present or annonia. nitrate level are good. the acan has been sitting in the sand for about 2 weeks. and started to bleach 2 days ago. i have favia sitting same level other side of tank that is doing great. and a Duncan that is rocking. does any one have any ideas on where to start.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Have you ever changed your bulb? PC lights need to be changed every 6 months. Also that calcium is a tad on the low side. You should target 400-450. Also, what is your alkalinity? Low alkalinity can bleach corals pretty easily.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

quackenbush

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Acans are my nemesis. I have 6 frags and most of them are closed and shrunken. My water parameters are standard and i kept trying various lighting and flow conditions to no avail... (I know I didn't even begin to answer your question, I just saw an opportunity to vent a little...)

aquarius

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
Water parameters sound okay even calcium, higher is ok but 350 is nsw level and just fine. I would recommend a water change and/or carbon to start. I would also look at the light, acans tend to do well in lower light and to really get colors out of them they need blue light. Lastly I would look for other corals that could be affecting it, favia are aggressive corals and though you said it was on the other side of the tank a 10 gallon tank isn't that big and sweeper tentacles from another coral could easily reach it I've seen favia with sweeper tentacle 4" long.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
neil82;673755 said:
I have struggled with keeping acans. The best luck I have had was when I place in sandbed.
Same here. Mine explode with growth on the sandbed with some cover from rocks so they never get direct flow but aren't in a dead spot. Doing that I double number of outside heads every couple months (2 head to about 25 heads in 1 year). If in higher flow or on rocks, I was going from 2 heads to 8 heads in a year.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

nathanpeter

Detritus
M.A.S.C Club Member
theres a picture of the acan. I did a 40% water change 3 days ago. and i have been doing 30% water changes every 2 weeks. i am running some carbin in my refugium. have a small protein skimmer that i clean out once a week. and my power compacts are about 5 months on them. and the acan has been in there for 2 week. as long as my duncan and favia.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Got a volt meter? The only time mine have shown signs of bleaching was when I had a small amount of stray voltage in the tank. They would still open but there colors slowly faded. I also find they actually do better when they are on a rock and not on the sand. They will do okay on the sand but they can easily be irritated and disturbed more frequently on the sand, which slows their growth in my experience.
As others have pointed out, some tanks just can't grow acans for whatever reason.

nathanpeter

Detritus
M.A.S.C Club Member
i am deffenlty considering putting it on a rock. i do agree the acan does't like sand getting on it. and also does't like me picking it up and having the water flow blow the sand off it. thanks for you in put. l'll have to try the volt meter. and i think ill try the changing my light. but regardless i assume it will take awhile for it to recover.