acrylic help north springs

I have been putting a system together for a month and got around to filling it. while the tank itself isn't having issues, a custom external overflow (also acrylic)has a leaking seam. I tried to fix the inside of the seam myself with weld-on 16 but am still having trouble. anyone able to help me figure out what to do next? id really appreciate any help whatsoever. happy to pay for the right help.

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I glued then used the aquarium safe caulk over it to make sure I wouldn't leak. I only did it with baffles as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I know silicone doesn't bond to acrylic. I used it for precautionary measure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Silicon is likely to just make a bigger mess, and wont fix the issue. It might cover it for a short time but eventually it will leak again. I think the fix for this might be taking 2 pieces of acrylic fit around the side with the issue and adhered with some weld-on 4, so that it gets under it and seals it permanently. Id then put a liberal amount of weld-on 16 around the outer edges of the 2 new pieces to ensure it holds.
If that doesnt work, you will likely need to take more drastic steps and remove the overflow and the offending side.

I've really got to advocate for the plastic silicone I found at home depot. It really works. After letting it cure for 5 days, I can really say it is permanently affixed to the acrylic overflow. I know there are a lot of skeptics out there (in regards to 100% silicone sealants and acrylic panels), and if you are one, the tube was only like 7 bucks and worth every penny.

If I was unable to use the silicone, I would have had to do a massive amount of work in order to seal it with an acrylic cement. ie drain the tank, remove the rock and sand, move the tank to the floor.... it would have taken hours and manpower. Luckly I was able to use this product: http://tinyurl.com/qczbw9f . i

The tank has had water in it for a month. The seam on the coast to coast overflow is dry! I even tried to peel the silicone off from the inside corner (also submerged) and my fingernail bent back. The silicone didn't move. Check out the product I mentioned above....

I think SynDen is on the money on this, make sure your surfaces are as smooth as you can possible get them and then use Weldon #3 or 4 and apply pressure seal the seams with 10

I'm not really sure how I could be more clear here. I was unable to use any other product without taking the whole tank down, which was a significant effort for me in the position the tank was in. If you don't want to use silicone, thats fine. But the community should be aware that there is a product out there that is 100% silicon that bonds to acrylic.