acrylic

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I am wanting to make my own sump/fug to fit under my BC29. It is going to be 18x18x18. Called around to s few places for a 1/4 to 3/8 inch sheet big enough but man is it expensive. Anyone know of a cheap place to buy it? Or has enough lying around they willing to part with?

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
rockys_pride;94225 said:
you can always do glass
where would I get the glass? Do you know any prices off the top of your head?

ColoradoReef;94226 said:
I always go to the place by keys island. Can't remember the name of the place
C.J.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
I called that place today and they wanted 90bucks for the acrylic.

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Glasss is cheaper

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
You can always find a wet dry and cut it apart for the acrylic. I guess if it would work for you, you could always use a 15g wet dry and modify it into a sump/refugium. Otherwise if you want to make it out of a 10g glass tank i have the glass baffles already cut that you can have. HTH

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Off The Deep End;94231 said:
You can always find a wet dry and cut it apart for the acrylic. I guess if it would work for you, you could always use a 15g wet dry and modify it into a sump/refugium. Otherwise if you want to make it out of a 10g glass tank i have the glass baffles already cut that you can have. HTH
Good idea to cut up an old wet dry.

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
I paid 16 for a bullet proof acrylic at lowes that's quarter inch but they also had some for 8 bucks same thickness. I'm sure with 2 sheets you would be good. I got that weld on too so you can use it since you told me where to go

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
what was the size of the sheet

MartinsReef

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Colorado has had the best prices on acrylic, that I have found. However they are up north off of Dillion road.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
MartinsReef;94395 said:
Colorado has had the best prices on acrylic, that I have found. However they are up north off of Dillion road.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
What is the name of the company?

othercents

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
KhensuRa;94228 said:
I called that place today and they wanted 90bucks for the acrylic.
Really? Plasticare's website shows 163.30 for (5) 18x18 pieces of 3/8" thick acrylic. If I could have built my sump from acrylic for $90 I would have done it instead of modifying a 10G. BTW. Are you sure you want 3/8" or 1/2" acrylic? A sump that small should be fine with 1/4" and I have seen some use smaller pieces.

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
othercents;94411 said:
Really? Plasticare's website shows 163.30 for (5) 18x18 pieces of 3/8" thick acrylic. If I could have built my sump from acrylic for $90 I would have done it instead of modifying a 10G. BTW. Are you sure you want 3/8" or 1/2" acrylic? A sump that small should be fine with 1/4" and I have seen some use smaller pieces.
That was the quote I got over the phone. The price for the 1/4 inch was about 10 to 20 bucks cheaper if memory serves me correctly

othercents

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Here is a 42" long sump that was using 1/8" acrylic, but later rebuilt as 1/4" acrylic.

http://www.melevsreef.com/55g/55sump.html

Once you place the baffles into your sump the 1/4" should be plenty and even 3/16" might be fine. $70 to $80 for an acrylic sump is good. For that price I would replace my 10G sump with a 20x20x18 sump allowing me to move my skimmer into the sump and adding more space to my refugium.

David

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
KhensuRa;94437 said:
That was the quote I got over the phone. The price for the 1/4 inch was about 10 to 20 bucks cheaper if memory serves me correctly
Someone told me that Plasticare sells scrap pieces for much much less. You have to go rummage. I do not know how true that is though.