Advice for re seeding previously live rock

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Im getting 200 lbs of dry rock tomorrow which will all need to be re cured before it can be used in my tank, obviously.

How does one get the best results? Please discuss.

Ive always just taken water directly from my DT, put it in a large container (usually a 20gal Rubbermaid trash can) with a heater and a couple power heads and add the dead rock. Ill then take a good size chunk of rock from the DT and add it in with the curing rock in hopes this helps seed the dead stuff faster. Then I just let it cook for a couple 2 - 3 weeks while changing out the water bit by bit as I go as to avoid any harmful ammonia build up that may occur from the rock dying in the first place.

Im wondering if there a better way or am I even doing this correctly in the first place. Most of the rock I have purchased was already living and cured and when I have had to cure my own rock its been very small quantities, so 200 lbs is a bit out of my league, but not for long. LOL

Ive thought about adding bacterail suppliments as well as dosing the curing rock with some kind of pod treatment, but not sure about any of this, or if it would even be beneficial or a waste of money. Ive seen this crap called "Purple Up", but I prefer my coraline to grow naturally, so Ive never used it, not sure if it works or if its even any good for anything. Ive looked up quite a bit of stuff online, but thats usually hit or miss, so Im looking for some personal experience feedback.

Rebel

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
I think your method is the way I would go--skipping the bacterial supplements. I wouldn't dose any pods either until it is in the new tank. If the rock is dry, there should be no die-off (I would assume anything aquatic that is dry would already be dead). But I would use a hose and spray it really well to get any loose stuff out of crevices etc. Then seed away with your new rock as you "cook" it.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Depends on how "dead" you want to make it.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Theres not going to be any "new" die off. But dead organisms remaining on or in the crevices, cracks and holes in the dry rock will decompose further once introduced to moisture, I will of course be cleaning the rock as well.

Also, this rock will be going into my exsisting tank DT. Im going to be pulling all fish, corals and inverts, putting them into a few QT tanks I have up and running and basically re doing the rock scape (adding the 200 lbs of new rock to the existing live rock in the tank) and all plumbing. The exisiting DSB will remain.

What Im trying to avoid is diatoms and algea outbreaks and level spikes and all the crap that can come with adding dead rock to a tank, plus my current rock is nice and purple and green and red and "LIVE" and this stuff will be bright white. Can I speed up the biological clock?

asn-naso

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Advice for re seeding previously live rock

The rock I used last time was from BRS and took much longer to cure as there was a ton if dried up dead stuff and no bacteria. I wish I would have scrubbed it before using it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
cdrewferd;228096 said:
Depends on how "dead" you want to make it.
Drew, i dont want it to be dead, I want it to be alive, VERY QUICKLY! :)

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
FWIW... donating it to a dear and valued friend in need of dry rock makes for good karma. Just sayin!

OK OK... just kiddin'. I'm mostly just jumping in so I get the notifications & learn how to do this myself. :nerd:

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Trust me, Im in need of it, your 120 currently has more rock than my 180. I really like my current rock scape, but its just not enough.

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I started with dry rock, dry sand, and mixed saltwater... added Bactiv8 and let it go a month... then i added pods from algaebarn and ORA...

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
And ORA...??? Whats that?

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Awesome guys, thanks for the heads up, I know exactly what and how Ill be doing this

Rebel

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you are looking for any new live rock to aid in the seeding or to add variety to the bacteria types/levels, let me know--I have lots, and some very large pieces.