AMAZING time lapse coral reef video

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
CLICK HERE TO READ THE FULL STORY AND VIEW THE VIDEO

Daniel Stoupin describes his stunning work of art:
[HR][/HR]"Slow" marine animals show their secret life under high magnification. Corals and sponges are very mobile creatures, but their motion is only detectable at different time scales compared to ours and requires time lapses to be seen. These animals build coral reefs and play crucial roles in the biosphere, yet we know almost nothing about their daily lives.
Learn more about what you see in my post: notes-from-dreamworlds.blogspot.com.au/2014/03/slow-life.html
This clip, as well as stock footage, is available in 4k resolution. Make sure you watch it on a large screen! You won't be able to appreciate this clip or see individual cells moving in a sponge on a smartphone.
To make this little clip I took 150000 shots. Why so many? Because macro photography involves shallow depth of field. To extend it, I used focus stacking. Each frame of the video is actually a stack that consists of 3-12 shots where in-focus areas are merged. Just the intro and last scene are regular real-time footage. One frame required about 10 minutes of processing time (raw conversion + stacking). Unfortunately, the success rate was very low due to copious technical challenges and I spent almost 9 long months just to learn how to make these kinds of videos and understand how to work with these delicate creatures.
Visit my website to see more cool stuff: microworldsphotography.com

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Ummm wow!!!!!!! Has anyone seen this video? Its absolutely incredibly awesome!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Awesome! Had seen some of that guys videos before but that one is a jaw dropper.

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
That's pretty sweet!

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Saw this video this morning. Really cool. The amount of work that goes into each segment is incredible. I hope he keeps posting more clips.