Bacterial Bloom... Again?

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Went to bed last night and the tank was crystal clear, woke up this morning and the tank was crystal clear (lights were off). I had an inspection for work and came back 3 hours later and the tank is as cloudy as the day I filled it with water (exaggerating slightly). I've been noticing that the tank clouds up slightly right as the lights come on, but normally clears up as the day progresses.

All fish, inverts and corals are happy and open. All parameters are in line (I don't have a phosphate test kit however) so I'm assuming it's another bacterial bloom of some kind. Nothing has been added to the tank for a week except the mp10's.

I feed really light once a day, skim relatiey wet, and run carbon. Not sure what could be causing it. I assume I just wait it out ad it will go away on its own?

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
How old is your tank? Do your mp10s ramp up when your lights come on kicking up material in your tank? What is your Ph when this is happening?

Sent from my SCH-R970C using Tapatalk

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I don't run a refugium at this time so no caulerpa. No wrasse, and the mp10's do auto sync with the lights turning them down at night. During the day, they are in anti-sync mode and max speed of 50%. Ph is right at 8.1

I only have the CUC, a fire shrimp, and 4 chromis

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Oh and tank is only 3 months old. I'm thinking it's just going through the typical new stages, but with no recet additions and no spikes... I'm kind of stumped

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Any dosing on the tank? I have had this happen before and it never caused a severe issues, do you test for mag?

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
No dosing of any kind... Just keep up with 5g water changes every 4-5 days. I don't have a mag test kit

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Does it look like "smoke" in your water? And how long does it take to go away after your lights come on?

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yea it looks like smoke. Today it doesn't show any signs of clearing up. Yesterday it cleared up around 3 and the lights came on at 8. I did a water change yesterday though so it may have been why it cleared up.

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ok one last question :) what salt are you using and was the salt new?

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Using Kent. The salt is mixed in a 20g BRUTE trash can and is constantly circulated and heated. This WC water from yesterday had been mixed a week or so ago and had been circulating since then. I guess I should mention I'm using RO/DI for all water (salt and ATO)

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Stop doing water changes until it clears up, you are most likely furthering the issue by removing beneficial bacteria causing this to continue. Have you checked ammonia? Also if you don't have a skimmer then put an air stone in there temporarily to help release any gases that could have built up in the tank, here is a great article on your situation http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?c=3578&articleid=674&category=583

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Does this happen after your ATO runs? Any idea how long and what time of day it usually runs?

I'd check the container to see if it needs a cleaning.

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Tested ammonia today and it was 0. I have a skimmer so I'm not too concerned with the oxygen depletion. It it gets worse I will throw an air stone in however.

ato container was brand new on Christmas. It's tops off randomly throughout the day but less than 1gal a day. The holding tank... Another 20g BRUTE trashcan... is cleaned weekly.

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well if your not dosing and your ammonia and nitrite are at 0 than in stumped.

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well I just got back from Las Vegas after a week of work (no fun at all) and the tank is still cloudy. I tested the water and all levels check out with no spikes or concerns! All corals and fish are open and out still. I did a 10g water change tonight and plan to do another 5g in the morning, hoping it may help clear things up. The only thing I can think of is a bacterial bloom or calcium precipitating out but idk why that would start happening out of the blue.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Very strange man. Tagging along as I am curious what the problem/solution is