?? Bayer dipping ??

?? Bayer dipping ??

I would say no as sponges are super sensitive. Just curious though, whats on a sponge that you need to get rid of. I've never seen anything bad on a sponge.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Sponge should be OK, I woiuld simply QT it for a week and keep an eye on it, but I dont think you want to dip it.

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ya, dont dip the sponge... just QT it.... only thing ive ever seen living on a sponge are crabs..... never seen a pest on one.

By the nature of what a sponge is, even if you dip it in Bayer I would qt it. You don't want it holding the solution in it only to release it into your display. I personally wouldn't dip it. I'd just qt and see if there is a reason for concern. If it is between dipping or adding straight to the display, I'd dip it in something more mild that wouldn't adversely affect your livestock in the tank. That way you did a dip, but don't have to risk your display tank if the sponge holds onto the dip after a rinse. Jmo

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: ?? Bayer dipping ??

Sorry, I don't know anything about sponges other than the black sponges sting like a mofo

Sent from my C771

Rebel

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
More important than dipping sponges is doing your best not to expose them to air. That can be tricky, getting them from the store (and requesting that THEY don't expose them to air), then acclimating them, then transferring them without getting too much LFS water into your system. I would generally acclimate for twice the time so that I know that 90% of the water in the bag is MY water before releasing them into my tank. Even then, I never had much luck with them.