Bid Question #5

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
Here's the first question that needs to be answered on the bid. After each question I've put my answer, per the meeting, PLEASE put in as many suggestions as possible. This gives us the best opportunity to have the best worded bid in the end. In the paperwork it says to NOT answer any question briefly and to go into as much detail as possible.

Has your club ever hosted a conference before?

To date we have held four club conferences that we have aptly named ReefEd. In 2011 we held our fourth conference, our first combined with another local club; the Denver Area Reef Club. All of these meetings have had a heavy emphasis on education, and we have had many speakers from around the industry come and try to further educate our members. While the following conferences have all been "formal" day or longer events, the Marine Aquarium Society of Colorado has been bringing in speakers from around the country in years prior to the formalization of an event.

The first ReefEd was in 2007. The speakers in attendance for our inaugural ReefEd were Sanjay Joshi, Jake Adams, and Mitch Carl. This was the first formal one day event that included speakers that the club brought in for the members.

The second ReefEd was held in 2008. It was held on February 23rd, 2008 and featured presentations from Marc Levenson, Frank Marini, and our own Jonthan Garnett.

ReefEd 2009 was held April 25th, 2009 at the Adams 12 Five Star Schools conference center in Thornton Colorado. This was also a frag swap that included many local coral vendors and local fish stores, and the raffle included items from nineteen different companies. The speakers in attendance for this ReefEd were Bob Fenner, Scott Fellman, and Christine Williams.

ReefEd 2010 was held May 1st, 2010 at The MAC conference center in Denver Colorado. This was once again a frag swap as well that included many local vendors and local fish stores, and the raffle included items from around 20 different companies. The speakers in attendance for this ReefEd were Eric Borneman, Matt Pederssen, and our own Jonthan Garnett.

The Rocky Mountain Marine Conference & Swap was our first ever collaboration with one of the other local reef clubs in the area. It was held on April 16th, 2011 at Highlands Ranch High School in Highlands Ranch Colorado. Not only did we hold the conference at a High School, we also included the High School and it's students into our events. The students volunteered, and the school itself has many different saltwater tanks setup throughout it's facilities. This was once again a frag swap as well, with around 20 companies donating items to our raffle. Our speakers in attendance were Scott Fellman and our very own Joe Thomphson, a local member, as well as a member of the MBI.

Aside from these conferences, we normally also hold two frag swaps throughout the year. We also have turned the Don't Break the Chain concept, made famous by a club on the west coast, and expanded upon by MASC, into a bi-yearly event. This Don't Break the Chain program is a varied form of a pay it forward program, with our biggest one bringing in around 500 different corals.

Last edited by a moderator:

rmougey

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
1st ReefEd was 2007, 2008 was ReefEd II. the joint event we held was 2010.....

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
rmougey;182040 said:
Correct on the joint conference, don't know how the 2012 came out haha, I was even looking at the thread.

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
rmougey;182040 said:
Alright I made the changes above. Does anybody know more about ReefEd 2007 and ReefEd 2008. I can't go that far back on the website.

jonthefb

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
2006 was anthony calfo though this wasnt tecnhically reefed, it was the precursor
2007 was Sanjay, Jake Adams, and Mitch Carl
2008 was marc levenson, myself, and frank marini

jonthefb

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Calfo was out twice, once at a home in evergreen, the next year at Kip Tanis house in Windsor, so we have had speakers out to talk to our members for quite some time now.

rmougey

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
ReefEd 2008 - Held 2/23/08 - Speakers: Frank Marini, Mark "Melev" Levenson, Rob Brynda, Randy Reed

ReefEd 2009 - Held 4/25/09 - Speakers: Scott Fellman, Bob Fenner, Christine Williams

ReefEd 2010 - Held 5/1/10 - Speakers: Matt Pedersen, Eric Borneman, Jonthan Garnett

I had indicated earlier that Sanjay was at ReefEd, he actually did a separate, earlier presentation.

rmougey

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Jon and I are cross posting! Yes... ReefEd has had a set of speakers, and there were earlier events that were not all day seminars were we had other folks out. Sanjay has been here at least twice, as well as Jake, Jon and Anthony. So lots of 'speaker' events, frag swaps, DBTC and the like.

Digging through google's cached data is fun.... and scary.....

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
Since Rob also helps out Jake with Reefstock we can mention that. Just be sure to mention Rob has helped and not the Club per say.