Bid Questions #1

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
Here's the first question that needs to be answered on the bid. After each question I've put my answer, per the meeting, PLEASE put in as many suggestions as possible. This gives us the best opportunity to have the best worded bid in the end. In the paperwork it says to NOT answer any question briefly and to go into as much detail as possible.

How many members in your club? If it is a mixed club, how many are marine members?

The Marine Aquarium Society of Colorado is a close group of hobbyists who have come together to share experiences, and learn about the animals that are in our care. We currently have 1,825 registered users and boast 450 active users. Not only do we offer membership through paid dues, but we also have an attendance based membership that excites our membership just that much more to attend our monthly meeting. The majority of our club is dedicated to saltwater, while still having some dedicated members in the freshwater and planted arenas. We have grown immensely over the past 5 years by more than doubling our active community, as well as having had exposure through articles in Reef Hobbyist Magazine, Reef Addicts, and Reefbuilders, as well as having many notarized speakers attend various meetings through our history. Our continued success is due to our great membership!!

rmougey

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'd say that MASC is a diverse group of hobbyists that come together from many locations across the Front Range. Our members are distributed across a large geographic area, from Pueblo to Cheyenne and extending into the Rockies, with the majority of members concentrated in the urban areas of Denver, Ft Collins and Colorado Springs.

MASC has existed in it's current form for over 6 years (I registered April of 2006) and has gone through evolutionary growth from it's prior incarnation as RMRC.

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
I would clarify what Active users means. I think we also need to answer the question about how many actual members we have.

rmougey

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Agreed.... I think it's OK to state that we have registered website users, but we should clarify the number of truly active members. Real numbers as best as possible.

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
that0neguy1126;182084 said:
I would clarify what Active users means. I think we also need to answer the question about how many actual members we have.
rmougey;182085 said:
Agreed.... I think it's OK to state that we have registered website users, but we should clarify the number of truly active members. Real numbers as best as possible.
Agreed that we should clarify that a little bit more. BUT I have and still believe that a "member" of MASC is a registered user, but that's just personal opinion. Paying dues or attending meetings doesn't make anybody more or less of a "member." I think we should distinguish "paid members/attendance members" but I don't think that we should say that the others are not "members."

rmougey

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
You should be able to see 'members' that haven't logged in in the last 12 months. I'd contend that those folks are just account placeholders, not actual club members. Agreed that just because I'm online and can't attend meetings, doesn't mean that I shouldn't be considered a member.

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
We could say those people are part of the "MASC Community".

According to our bylaws, they are not "Members". There are a lot of differences, only members are able to vote, get discounts, etc.

rmougey

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm comfortable with 450 active in the community. :) I just thought that the 1800 number was not relevant....

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
that0neguy1126;182094 said:
We could say those people are part of the "MASC Community".

According to our bylaws, they are not "Members". There are a lot of differences, only members are able to vote, get discounts, etc.
No I understand that, but when making a bid you won't want to ONLY go with those that are paid or attendance members. You're not including the whole picture. I'm comfortable taking out the registered number, but would still like to keep the active member number.

rmougey;182096 said:
I'm comfortable with 450 active in the community. :) I just thought that the 1800 number was not relevant....

amonchak

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C Treasurer
rmougey;182096 said:
I tend to agree with Rob on this that we need to be very careful and clear on the definition of 'member' or MASC Community. I do however think that it is reasonable to use both numbers as long as were preface each number with the correct statement.

--The MASC website has over 1500 registered users of which 450 are active 'MASC Community contribuitors' (or insert correct term here) and we have approximately 150 members --

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
amonchak;182105 said:
I tend to agree with Rob on this that we need to be very careful and clear on the definition of 'member' or MASC Community. I do however think that it is reasonable to use both numbers as long as were preface each number with the correct statement.

--The MASC website has over 1500 registered users of which 450 are active 'MASC Community contribuitors' (or insert correct term here) and we have approximately 150 members --
Maybe

The MASC website has over 1500 registered users of which 450 are active 'MASC Community contribuitors' and we have approximately 150 members in good standing. A member in good standing is defined as a member who has paid their yearly dues, or whom has attended two meetings in a rolling year.

jonthefb

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I honestly think that you are being extraneous at that point. I dont_think_ the MASNA board is going to come on the site and look over bylaws to determine what a host club differentiates as a member or non member. At this point we need to show the MASNA board that we have a large enough pool of volunteers to help put on the show, and therefore I think that saying "MASC has over 1500 registered users of which 450 are active members" is all that needs to be said.

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
i don't think it they are going to go and double check, unless we have some crazy high numbers.

For me its about being honest. Claiming we have 450 "Members" is flat out lying, since they are not members of the club. saying we have 450 active users in the community however puts a better spin on it. The reason I wanted to add the 150 "Members" is because that is what the question ask's. I think we could probably get arround it by just using the 450 numbers, but make sure we state they are active users and dont call them members. but if we only use that number, we didnt really answer the question.

i don't think there is anything wrong with saying we have 450 active users and 150 of which are members of the club. I liked the phrasing Juan put.

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I like this;
hurrafreak;182110 said:
Maybe

The MASC website has over 1500 registered users of which 450 are active 'MASC Community contribuitors' and we have approximately 150 members in good standing. A member in good standing is defined as a member who has paid their yearly dues, or whom has attended two meetings in a rolling year.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
hurrafreak;182110 said:
Maybe

I like this as well. Gives a good view of how much traffic is on the website, and a good idea of how many good volunteers they might get through the paid/meeting members.

Drew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
hurrafreak;182110 said:
Maybe

Derek Jon Rob, what do you guys think about this? It distinguishes what each group is, but you still get all three numbers?

rmougey

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I think it's a reasonable statement of the facts... it shows an active dedicated group as well as a larger affiliated group from which to pull.

Last edited by a moderator:

amonchak

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C Treasurer
Discussing the membership as Juan has it worded is also similar to one of the example bids they just separated each group to a bullet list.

I like it!