Biocube Problem

goodness

Cleaner Shrimp
I got my gf a used Biocube off Craigslist earlier this year for her first tank and everything has been pretty good with it. However I just discovered last week that the back wall was separating from the glass. It only slight effect flow until today. I picked up a beautiful bta from a fellow forum user and it had part of its foot stuck into the hole. If I had not noticed late tonight I'm sure it would have been lost into the back/crushed by the small crack it was in.

Fortunately I was able to free it but I'm worried about this happening again or causing other problems in the future.

Do I need to drain and resilicon the seam?

Would getting another Biocube be a better deal, if anyone has one to give away/ cheap. We are both college students and I can't afford a replacement tank currently.

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
It's very common in aio over time for the back wall to separate. Best thing you could do is make a temp tank for your livestock and drain the tank. Re silicon and then fill up with fresh salt water. Only draining the back will cause it to bow with all the pressure being in the front.

goodness

Cleaner Shrimp
Balz3352;n673432 said:
Back wall being the part that separates tank and filtration area?
If you could drain filtration area and silicone there you should be fine. But im wondering why it bowed so much to separate from that part.

Pics?
Yes the filtration area wall and the main tank area. I'd have to drain the whole thing I think

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
JuanGutz;673457 said:
Should only need 24hrs for it to cure and make sure you fill up the front and back equally.
I would play it safe and do 2 days instead of 24 hours. Silicone can get fully submerged after 24 hours, but can take several days to reach 95% strength. Make sure to use structural silicone and completely remove the old silicone on the side that's leaking before applying new or it will just split apart again.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

goodness

Cleaner Shrimp
Balz3352;n673465 said:
If you need to borrow a 20l I got one you could use in the intrum
thank you for the offer, and thanks for the advice everyone else.

I ended up proping it with a piece of egg crate. It's pushing the wall forward so that no water is going through.

Once I get a car again I may take you up on the tank offer. Someone totaled mine a bit ago