Bubble tip anemone

andrew

Butterfly Fish
Ok, question, Ive seen buubletip anemones with bright good BUBBLE TIPPS, but why do they lose the bubble tip and have a longer tips. Is this a sign of a Unhealthy anemone or does it really matter? Personally my oppinion is that i Have seen them change due to current and other factors as light and water condition, but if anyone knows why they do this Id like to know?:D

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
everyone has an opinion but to my knowledge no one knows ...light, water quality,etc.

i can tell you that its not related to the health of the nem ...although the two could coincide

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well isnt this the million dollar question. There tons of threads on the net about this with no solid answer. I asked the same thing to Live Aquaria because every one of their BTA's photo with bubbles. They told me they didn't know. Its either a very very well kept industry secret or the truth is no one knows.

I picked up a rainbow bta a few months back and its tips are still bubbled and it hasn't moved from the rock I placed it on.

I bought mine and it was the size of maybe a silver dollar. As it got bigger it kept the bubble until it was the of a grapefruit. Now it is as big as a dinner plate with just a few bubble tips. It eats like beast and seems very healthy.

I have two in the same tank, one bubbles and the other doesn't. The one that bubbles is the younger and smaller one, but both are good eaters, healthy and unbleached. Sometimes when I turn the pump off for a while to feed and forget to turn it back on, the older one is bubbled up.

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
I read somewhere a while back that they bubble up when they feel threatened or are unhappy and when they're flat they're happy. When they get longer they're hungry. I assumed this was correct until I read this thread and people aren't sure lol

You would think the bubbling would be to increase surface area so that anything that swims by has a higher chance of being prey. The only other reason I could think that my tiny one bubbles is to serve as warning for anything that thinks he might be food since he is so much smaller.

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Good_GReef;137542 said:
You would think the bubbling would be to increase surface area so that anything that swims by has a higher chance of being prey. The only other reason I could think that my tiny one bubbles is to serve as warning for anything that thinks he might be food since he is so much smaller.
This makes the most sense to me of all the theories, surface area. Whether it be to capture prey or light. My BTA is at the bottom of my tank and I do not directly feed it.

this might become an advertisement.. but I have a 6 inch open RTBA and was bubble tipped when i bought him.. had him under 8 bulb tek system, lots his tips but otherwise did great.. now bought radion LED and is starting to get his bubble tips back.. :/

Haddonisreef

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
saltymichigan;137907 said:
this might become an advertisement.. but I have a 6 inch open RTBA and was bubble tipped when i bought him.. had him under 8 bulb tek system, lots his tips but otherwise did great.. now bought radion LED and is starting to get his bubble tips back.. :/
So how are you acclamating the nems to the new light? I have mine set to peak for 3 hrs at 50 %