Can't get alk up from 5.5dkh. Help please.

J.guokas

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
I dosed last night and tested this morning and it didn't budge. I dosed this morning and it went down from what it tested at before I dosed. My calcium is at 450 and pH is 8.0. What now?

mathewkofalk

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Use a second test kit and don't dose anymore till you know yours is accurate

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

fishguy69

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
kind of agree. We have used BRS stuff before but better results with the generic stuff. Do you dose often?

J.guokas

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
Not at all until now. I ran out of chems that I was dosing about a month ago. Just recently was able to order more. I am working on setting up my dosing pumps so until then I am dosing manually.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Try testing within an hour of dosing...that way you're certain that the level is going up and dropping afterwards.

If it isn't going up at all...there's either something wrong with the 2part our it's precipitating out of solution...but that's usually noticeable.

fishguy69

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you stopped dosing for a while then it may take time to gradually bring levels back up to normal. A deprived tank tends to suck up nutrients faster than we can compensate with. Need to find that happy level again.

J.guokas

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
I tested about an hour after I dosed earlier today and that's when I noticed it went down from what I tested before I dosed. Don't see any precipitation on pumps or heaters.

fishguy69

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Continue to dose normal amounts daily and test 12-24 hours later.

J.guokas

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
But it doesn't make sense that it went down after just an hour after I dosed. How much is too much to dose at once and could it be possible that the amount I'm dosing just doesn't make it into solution? I dosed about 1fl oz.

J.guokas

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'll retest it but it will have to wait until tomorrow when I can go to the LFS. Haven't had the cash to get my own mag test. But what throws me off about the mag is that my cal is OK. Don't you think I'd be having cal issues as well if my mag was low?

fishguy69

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you haven't dosed in a while then levels will sometime drop. I have a display tank that is a full reef with sps and lps thriving at 6dkh. I dose once a week.

How big is the tank again?

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio

J.guokas

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
Fresh batch tests out at about 7 dkh but drops within a couple days. That's why I had to start dosing. I honestly haven't tested a fresh batch of saltwater in a while but when I did that's the number I got. I will have to test next WC.