Can't keep ricordeas alive

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
So, for the life of me, I can't seem to keep ricordeas alive. This is such a bummer to me because I think ric's are beautiful and I'd love to be able to keep them. A little history... In my 17 gallon with no sump, fuge or any type of filtration, except for weekly water changes, I put 3 ricordeas in at Reefed last year. In about 3 days, two of the three died from brown brown jelly disease. Within a month, the third died of the same cause. A few months later, I tried a Yuma. It too died within a month. I have since started a 40 breeder and picked up a $10 ric at MACNA. It has shrunk in size and is now on the brink of death being a quarter the size it was when I got it. I don't know why. I have tried moving the ric to different areas of my tank about 3 times since MACNA. Here are my parameters.

Temp: 79
Salinity: 1.025
Alk: 9
pH: 8.2
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates:0
Ammonia: 0
Calcium: 440
Magnesium: 1300
phosphates: 0

I use API test kit for most tests except Calcium and Magnesium which I use Salifert.
all of my mushrooms and other corals seem to be doing well. They are growing and show polyp extension.

I use a Kessil 350w LED with blues at about 60% whites at about 25% and 2 T5 bulbs, 1 pure actinic and 1 actinic+

any suggestions as as to how I can keep this coral alive would be greatly appreciated.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Ya they like really low flow at that, I have mine in a bottom corner where they barely get any flow and they seem to much prefer it that way, If I move them out in slightly more flow they tend to shrivel a bit

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks for the responses. I will see if I can find a spot in my tank with even lower flow than it's getting currently. It's hard though, my tank has pretty decent flow through out. I'm sure I can find somewhere for it though.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I had similar issues with my tank, under Kessil a350s as well...

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
About 5 days ago I moved it over to an area of my tank that doesn't get hit much by my Kessil but still gets good T5 light.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I think it might be LEDs. I remember one of the vendors that always has rics said their colors pop more under led but they grow better under MH or fluorescents.

SilverSurfer

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
mine are doing fine under led, they are somewhat under a shelf and light flow I see the lowest one on the rich move a tiny bit with the wave.

lkoechle

Cleaner Shrimp
Aside from what others said about flow and lighting, I fed mine and they exploded in growth. I would feed them the bigger chunks in rods. Crazy to watch them eat too.

fc_reefer

Cleaner Shrimp
If you haven't, check your iodine/iodide levels. I had some problems with softies due to those low levels. Softies and inverts use that up. After I corrected my iodide levels my shrimp started molting more and my zoas stopped shriveling. Other softies thrived as well.