Chloramine

SAZAMA

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Do you run a a Chloramine filter?????
So a while back I checked with the city of northglenn, and found that there are chloramines in my tap water.So I ordered a membrane from BRS,soaked and rinsed it, and for the first 100g I was now showing 1tds. So I decided to clean my container and flush the unit and is now showing 0tds. has anyone else found the same thing with brs chloramine filters? Is there any other steps to I may be missing before installing a new filter?
Tony

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Chloramine

Tony,
There is a thread in the RC chemistry forum and Randy, tmz and a couple others who all agree not to bother with chloramine specific products. I'm on Denver water now at my new place and I believe it's chloramine as well and I just run my regular 5 stage brs RO/DI without issue.

The carbon will separate the chloramine ion and the DI will remove the ammonia IIRC.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Chloramine

You're welcome. Now that I think about it, I think it was Bertoni who posted in the thread not rhf. I will read that article you posted. Thanks.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
I treat my RO water for chlorine and chloramines prior to mixing salt just to be sure, live in Northglenn as well and never had any issues.

andyrm66

Butterfly Fish
Sorry to bring an old thread back, I'm in Northglenn as well, and have had other fish keepers tell me there is Chloramines in the water, however when I call the treatment facility they also say no, but are always weird about it on the phone.

Do we know for sure one way or the other. Reason I ask, is it would explain an issue I've been seeing.

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ask for a water report, it will state everything in the water. As a matter of fact it might be available online.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Water report is definitely online...and from what I've seen chloramines are used pretty much everywhere in the Denver Metro area to varying degrees different times of the year.

There was also an article on this in advanced aquarist, IIRC. I decided against adding a specific filter as well...marketing says buy one, science says don't waste your money. I went with science.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Denver 2012 treated water quality summary (goes into detail on actual treatments used): http://www.denverwater.org/docs/ass...973B632FFE1/TreatedWaterSummaryReport2012.pdf

Denver water quality report (2013): http://www.denverwater.org/docs/ass...9-871E2F58438E152B/2013WaterQualityReport.pdf

Northglenn water quality report (2012): https://www.northglenn.org/files/CCR2012 FINAL_0.pdf
*Their site doesn't have a link to their treatment practices that I could find...but the report says they chlorinate their water. Due to the same reasons catfish charlie mentioned earlier in the post...they most likely use chloramine.

If you don't trust your carbon filter to remove chloramines from your water...consider that the water they use for dialysis patients needs chloramine removed. Guess what they use? Granular activated carbon.

deboy69

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
If they inject ammonia into the water then that mixes with chlorine to make chloramines. Thornton water does have chloramines. Just an fyi

KCCO

andyrm66

Butterfly Fish
Hmm, Northglenn still claims they never have or currently use Chlormaines, just straight chlorine. I know Thornton does, but as far as I can tell, I cant come with up a yes that Northglenn does.