1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. Thanks
    Dismiss Notice

Colorado aquarium manufacturers?

Discussion in 'General Reefkeeping Discussion' started by Maddlesrain, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Maddlesrain

Maddlesrain Registered Users

Hello,
    I'm hoping I may be able to get a little help in finding a colorado-based aquarium manufacturer. I've done a little researching myself, but every company I find seems to be out of business, so I'm at a bit of a loss. I've looked into other manufacturers such as miracles and class cages, but I'd rather not pay so much on shipping and just pick the tank up myself if possible.
    Thank you.

2. Huskyguy

Huskyguy Amphipod

Tom at ADHI is local and he does an amazing job building acrylic tanks and sump.

3. aquarius

aquarius Copepod

Tom is out of business, sold his stuff too. We can build custom acrylic tanks and sumps at Stone Aquatics if you're interested in acrylic or we can bring in glass tanks of various sizes upon request. We currently have two 120 gallon glass tanks in stock, one rimless on a White Oak stand and one with standard plastic trim with an African Mahogany stand and canopy. We also stock several sizes of Red Sea aquariums.

4. Maddlesrain

Thank you, I'll look into him! Only thing that scares me a little is the acrylic. I've only ever kept glass aquariums.

5. ReefCheif

ReefCheif Marlin M.A.S.C Club Member

Tom at ADHI is no longer doing acrylic work

6. Maddlesrain

Thank you for your response! I'm searching for something a bit smaller, a pre-drilled rimless drop-off peninsula style aquarium with very specific dimensions (total gallonage of maybe 40 gallons). I'm leaning more towards glass as that is what I've always kept.
    do you, or are in association with someone who, builds aquariums like this?
    I'm really only interested in the tank itself as I'd actually prefer to build the stand myself.

Thank you!

7. Maddlesrain

Thank you, I didn't see that until after I gave a response.

8. Huskyguy

Huskyguy Amphipod

When did that happen? He build an stuff for me 2 -3 months ago.

9. aquarius

aquarius Copepod

Just in the last month or so. From my understanding he sold all of his stuff to Dave who used to own Aquamart. I have some of Tom's tanks myself and love them. I'm not aware of anyone local who custom builds glass tanks though I imagine you could do it yourself if you can build a stand. It's pretty straightforward just some glass, silicone, masking tape. Joey the king of diy on YouTube has a video showing how to build a glass tank I believe.

10. SUS

SUS Copepod M.A.S.C Club Member

I ordered my tank (Planet Aquariums out of TX) through Dave @ fluid designers. Planet aquariums does not sell direct to customers so you have to go through a "fish store". Shipping to my door was only 100$ for my 100 gallon tank. I got quotes from several builders and they were the most reasonable (especially factoring in the shipping. one company wanted 600$ for shipping!)

11. jda123

jda123 Barracuda M.A.S.C Club Member

If you are handy at all and pay attention to details, you can make your own. There is nothing hard about it - no long-division, limit theorems or quantums. It will not get any cheaper than this.

12. aquarius

aquarius Copepod

+1 for what jda said. Also Fluid Designers is out of business also.

13. Fourthwind

Fourthwind Amphipod M.A.S.C Club Member

there is a company down in the springs building glass tanks. have no idea on quality however. Just seen their adds in craigslist

14. sethsolomon

sethsolomon Shark M.A.S.C Club Member

Well it's not drilled but I am sure you could ask them to drill them. I know the owner and he is an awesome guy! They are out here in DC but they are some sexy tanks!

http://artfullyacrylic.3dcartstores.com/Reef-Crest-35--Dropoff-AIO_p_1856.html

15. Fluid Designers

Fluid Designers Registered Users

Actually Fluid Designers is still alive! For the last year and half we have been very focused on our retail store, Studio Blue https://www.facebook.com/StudioBlueAquatics/
    We've purchased ADHI and moved the shop to AZ. We are up and running and we do offer free shipping to MASC members. I will post an actual announcement soon.

16. aquarius

aquarius Copepod

Didn't know that, that's awesome!

Fluid Designers likes this.
  17. Maddlesrain

Hey, I dropped off for awhile. For some reason I stopped receiving notifications from this thread and it must have slipped my mind with all the other craziness in life. I ended up getting the tank from Miracles and got it up and running at the end of this summer!

18. SynDen

SynDen Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C Club Member

Excellent! you should start a build thread :D

Maddlesrain likes this.