Copper power

fiji4118

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hey all,

I thought I would take a second to provide my recent experience with Copper Power copper medication. As many may know I recently broke down my 110 FOWLR due to an ich issue. I brought in an emporator angel that infected my tank so I put all my fish into QT while leaving that tank fallow for 2+ months. I have two QT tanks. One for the angel and one for my new arothron puffer and paddlefin wrasse. The wrasse and puffer were never exposed as I put them directly into QT. I think that everyone would agree that copper definitely kills ich, although it is also hard on many fish so other avenues are typically tried. I spoke with Cris at Aquatic Arts about different treatments as I wanted to make sure that I did not have an ich infection once I put the fish back into the DT. Cris mentioned that he had spoken with people at the Denver Aquarium about Copper Power. Apparently they had used this product effectively in the past. But the interesting thing was they has used it on fish that typically do not take to copper well. Specifically angels, puffers and yes SHARKS. So I thought I would give it a go with the angel. Somewhere along the line while doing water changes ( I assume) I passed the ich into the puffer QT. I dosed both tanks with 1 oz per 20G of Copper Power. Copper readings with a Salfert test kit show copper levels in both ABOVE 2ppm. This level is certainly high enough to kill ich but should also likely kill both my angel and my puffer. Neither were affected (and have been in QT with this level of copper for over 2 weeks). Apparently the buffering used allows the copper to not adversely effect the fish. So far so good. No signs of ich and the fish have all done well and maintained their appetites. I want to thank Cris for making me aware of this product! Simple, single dosing and my fish are doing great.

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hey, thanks for sharing, very good to know. Been down that road myself with expensive fish, all lost due to infected tank. That is an insanely high copper level, can't believe they made it a day let alone 2 weeks. I ran copper (Cupramine) at what should have been a lethal dose (.6ppm) for 4 weeks, Ich still stuck in my display, so who knows. I also tried Crypto Pro, didn't kill the Ich. Now I'm running my display tank with hyposalinity, planning for 2 months, and transferring new fish fairly quickly straight into it (after giving them a few days to rest in a less hyposaline tank, so I can see if they have any pathogens that hypo won't kill). Anyway I definitely look forward to your updates and hope these guys pull through 100%. I may try Copper Power next, if this strategy doesn't work.

I've called Denver Aquarium on hobbyist questions before but never thought to ask them about disease treatment - good to know what they use.

LittleCrabby101

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Great info! I might have to try this treatment since I also had an infected angel ;/

fiji4118

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Update. All fish continuing to do well. Copper level remains above 2ppm. Over 3 weeks now. They are in QT until the end of this week. Plan to put them back into the display over the weekend. The DT has been fallow since the end of September.

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks Jaime. Good to know. May have to get some on hand if my current path doesn't kick the ich.