Coral lighting project

I tried rc, no one responded and had griefers telling me the project was bunk. My stats prof said it's great ( not many students put effort in this project), so i changed my design plan to accommodate local reef club growth ( to account that the results are random within the club/state area not within the country). It's all good, I read my last post, I'm not upset at all, just enthusiastic and would like to challenge our club members to sway me into a pay badge :) that and maybe a bit of desperation to get this project done LOL. 17 creds 3 semesters in a row is running me thin.

i was honestly thinking we would jump on this, I could have run the stats and start on the next part like water quality, flow, feeding but I know everyone has there own way and what fun would it be if we all knew how to do it!!!... /sadface

But seriously 13 more to go now (thank you !!!!), that's like 1 every two hours and we have over 50 really active members that haven't posted, the stats are on our side!!!

Oh man, genius I totally spaced that out. I'll give it a few more hours to let the masc members and b.o.d represent as my offers still stand here for membership and dbtc. Thanks!

Woot 11 more to go thank you!!!

so I've heard from 5 or so people that there data is rough, or an estimate. This is expected and part of the project, we are accountable for normalizing the data at 30 samples, something that just happens in stats. So if you think your data is unworthy, think again, it is golden!!!

if this was a master thesis I would pull data from marine biologist at aquariums :)

were almost there!!

xxHLTxx

Detritus
M.A.S.C Club Member
Watts per Gallon: 6.25 (custom LEDs over a 120g)

Coral growth: 1" every 5-6 months for sps, zoanthids get close to a head a month

Main type of lights: custom built LEDs

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Watts = 3 p/g (72g bow tank)

Coral growth = moderate - slow growing sps .5inch/ 3months, fast growing 1 inch a month, zoas between 3-5 heads a month

Lights are retro fit 4 bulb t5

This is awesome, 9 more to go!! I tried the Scmas route, signed up and all but don't have access to post. If some one could please create a link to here that would be most appreciated. I am going to do a separate but similar dbtc to keep it clean and will post more after some studying. Thank you very much!! I can't wait to share the data granted we get 30 entries (9 more!!)

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Just to give you more data points, these are the stats from my old 75 tank before I upgraded to my 125.

4.32 watts per gallon T5 (mix of 10k, actinic, and purple)

2" per year for acros and millepora, 6" per year for digitata, zoas multiply 4-8 times population per year.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Coral lighting project

To add to my post, started my first reef with a 30 gallon running 2x96 w power compacts. One was actinic the other was 10k. Had very little growth w sps and my Zoas grew 1 head a month. Mushrooms split every 2 months.

Upgraded to the leds I already posted about 9 months in because of the slow growth.

Ghxst;334287 said:
Sweet thanks!!! I'll go see of I can post yet.

LAST DAY TO ENTER!!!!

Got permission to move my Lab Day to Thursday 10 AM. Still open till then, 9 more to go!! If you have those zoas or dont want any coral you can pass, or I can find something else just PM me!! Did I mention 9 more to go!!!

Thank you so much!

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Watts = 5 per gallon (75 gallon tank)

Coral growth = moderate - slow growing sps .5inch/ 3months, fast growing 1 inch a month, zoas between 3-5 heads a month

Lights are 240w led and 2 - 54w t5

* essentially same as SynDen

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome!! 7 more to go. Chad is there anyway to get back my last 10 emails? My box was full and I accidentally canned everything. I already pulled the data but the corresponding names would be great.

I just read on a supplemental guideline that I need 40-50 data points. I will verify but I think this is okay, I can data mine the forums on any existing tank build that hasn't already contributed. If we can get all 40 from volunteered data that would be most excellent as it is one less cavot placed in the final review.

If you have PMed me data and You are not Romebaby, SkyShark or TomTom please pm me. I have your data entered but want to make sure you are on the list for the DBTC Portion.

deboy69

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
1.25 Wpg on 180 gallon with 3 ai sols
Growth is slow maybe a head a month on zoas and 1/4 in every couple months on sps

Last edited by a moderator: