cuc how much / how little?

Justin144

Butterfly Fish
scotty b;335149 said:
i think i will have to up my cuc .
what about things like fan worms on non-photosynthetic clams
Fan worms mainly just eat stuff in the water column from what i know. i dont believe theyre crucial to cleaning crews

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Justin144;335162 said:
Seth. I have 1 cleaner in a 40cube. Should i get another? why do you say two? are they better in pairs?

I like pairs because they are hermaphroditic and when they breed its free fish food your your tank for a day or 2.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
scotty b;335149 said:
i think i will have to up my cuc .
what about things like fan worms on non-photosynthetic clams

fan worms are good if you have a larger fish load. in things like seahorse tanks they most likely starve. I have only had 1 non-photosynthetic clam in one of my tanks and it was a mussel. never noticed anything specific with it in the tank. As for photosynthetic clams, they are awesome nitrate scrubbers but also need a ton of calcium.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
scotty b;335183 said:
i feed baby brine and phyto daily
any one know the best place to get a photosynthetic clam ? not looking to spent $100 + on a 3-4'' clam
Petco. probably the only place to get a clam for about $50. Depending on your light you will want either a derasa or squamosa as these are lower light requirement clams.

scotty b

Butterfly Fish
other than a par meter is there any way to gauge how good a light is? (bought a tank with a rapid led retrofit and they had no idea on its specs)
I have the calcium reactor going on the tank so keeping calcium levels up a clam are not a issue

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
scotty b;335192 said:
other than a par meter is there any way to gauge how good a light is? (bought a tank with a rapid led retrofit and they had no idea on its specs)
I have the calcium reactor going on the tank so keeping calcium levels up a clam are not a issue

a rapid led kit should be fine.