Do you run carbon, GFO, or both?

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Been doing a lot of reading and was curious as to what everyone runs on their system.

1. Do you run carbon? If so, how often? 24/7/365 or occasionally?

2. Do you run GFO? If so, how often? 24/7/365 or occasionally?

3. Do you run them together in a reactor or separate?

Just curious as to the results some of you have had with different combinations of these.

Right now I run a small amount (1/2 of the BRS calculated dose) if carbon through a reactor. Running it 24/7.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
I used to run Carbon, and GFO or Rowa in media bags in a highflow area next to the skimmer, but I recently upgraded to the BRS dual GFO and Carbon reactor, and I have always run them 24/7

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
SynDen;293114 said:
I used to run Carbon, and GFO or Rowa in media bags in a highflow area next to the skimmer, but I recently upgraded to the BRS dual GFO and Carbon reactor, and I have always run them 24/7
+1 BRS dual reactor - 24x7

Blindrage

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
I use a Next Reef Reactor, and run carbon in the bottom between two sponges so it can not roll, then run GFO on the top so it fluidizes well. I run both 24-7, and swap them every 3-4 weeks normally.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I run carbon only after I have treated for something and only for 2 days after the treatment. Otherwise I don't use either.

BryanF

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
SynDen;293114 said:
I also use the brs dual reactor on both tanks (24/7). I find them very easy to use!

opakapaka

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I only run brs GFO reactor 24x7

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I used to run carbon and GFO in the BRS single unit. However, recently I stopped the GFO and increased Alk, and my stuff has never looked better.

Not sure if the reason is the stoppage of the GFO, or more stable Alk (Alk would be my guess).

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks for all of the feedback. I started running GFO and carbon mixed together like the demonstrate on BRS. Not even 1/2 the recommended amounts to not change parameters too much too fast.

So far everything seems happy and the water is crystal clear. The glass is also staying much cleaner (I was struggling with this having to clean 2-3x per day).

Thanks again for the feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
imo running gfo depends on your habits and should only be run when needed. I'd start with 1/2 or less the recommended amount, as others have stated. Lowering phosphate too quickly can so bad things! Also, the lower your phosphates and such with too high an alk can cause problems.