Does anyone know how???

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
So my brother has an old all glass aquarium 120g. He wants to make this rimless. Would anyone around here have any advice on if or how this can be accomplished.

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I'd be worried that without that top plastic frame you could end up with a catastrophic failure when a seam fails. Especially over a 6 foot span. Maybe on a smaller tank it wouldn't be such a big deal, but that's a lot of weight acting on that glass. .02

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Its 48lx24wx25h. I am sure there is bracing required. Just dont know how or what type or how thick. Surely glass is stronger than plactic trim. Not sure he just wants a different look and is going to make it a pennensula.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Modern silicone is plenty strong enough to hold that seam, if it was made right. I would be worried about the glass. If it has a center brace, then I would keep it. If it does not have a center brace, then the trim is doing nothing of value to the tank.

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Good thread but couple points are different this is all glass brand. So it is a manufacured tank not something i randomly build. The bottom trim is going to remain since it will be recessed and unseen. Also some top bracing i think is in order just dont know best way to do this. Maybe this is an impossible project. Where is martin i am sure he would have an idea. Or a big diy person i know we have a few around here.

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
jda123;336493 said:
Modern silicone is plenty strong enough to hold that seam, if it was made right. I would be worried about the glass. If it has a center brace, then I would keep it. If it does not have a center brace, then the trim is doing nothing of value to the tank.
Could i just silicon a glass center brace. This tank does have a plastic center brace.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
jda123;336493 said:
+1 The molding around the edges really isnt providing any significant structural support, so it can come off, but its the center brace that is important here. If you take the center brace out and then fill with water, what will happen is that the pressure of the water will be greatest around the center of the glass and will over time make the glass bow outwards and then eventually failing.
If you take the molding off and a) leave the center brace, or b) remove but replace the center brace support somehow, then you will be fine.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
I would think so, I believe that is how Oceanic tanks are made is with the glass siliconed into the middle

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Thats also how eurobracing is done, I believe, so that would be another option. Might actually look better too if you went that route

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Check out this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBi1b351lsk

I like the Euro brace across the front and back of the tank with further cross braces through the center. He gives specs to brace dimensions and spacing. Pretty cool stuff! One important thing he does say, if there was a brace to begin with you need to add a brace if you remove the top trim. I agree.

fishguy69

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Minimal euro bracing is all it needs. We have done this before. Still need a small center brace though.

V