Fatten up Foxface

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I got a new Foxface Lo a couple of weeks ago, and he's pretty slender. I'd like to fatten him up! He eats thawed frozen food really well, eats veggie flakes really well, but won't touch nori or other seaweed on clips. My thought was to rubberband it to a rock and try that. But I'm looking for any other tips to get your herbivore fish to eat their veggies really well.

Thoughts, tips, tricks, ideas?

BrianH

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
You might try broccoli. My tangs love it. Obviously it is not a food found in the foxface natural habitat. lol I got the idea from reading the ingredient list for LRS Reef Frenzy food.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Pellets are the best way to fatten them up. Mysis next. Nori won't do it nearly as well. My fish all devour New Life Spectrum and Formula 2 pellets.

These are not herbivores, they are omnivores, so be sure that they get some meat or you could get some HLLE issues.

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
BrianH;n674851 said:
You might try broccoli. My tangs love it. Obviously it is not a food found in the foxface natural habitat. lol I got the idea from reading the ingredient list for LRS Reef Frenzy food.
How do you feed the broccoli to the fish? I was thinking you'd chop it up and maybe just feed the ends...but then I searched youtube and saw a whole stalk of broccoli on a veggie clip.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Soak it in Selcon or rub garlic on it. I've gotten clownfish to eat nori (and swallow it) when it smells and tastes like garlic.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Fitz19d

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Big + 1 to just lots of pellets, higher calorie/nutrient dense. Seaweed is more about vitamins etc. My fish and tangs didnt like big sheets on clips, but finally got them to start eating when I would tear them up into like penny sized bits and broadcast those into the water.

Mine is so fat and is even eating big ol krill pretty much.