Favored Pump for closed loop?

SquidBreath

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hey guys...fishing for some ideas here...

Working on a closed loop. Eheim 1262 does not have the chops for what I need to do.
Anyone recommend something quiet and powerful? Will be running it non-submerged. Figure I need 1500gph at 2 feet of head. Quiet is important.

One a side note....anyone need a brand new (minus 2 min) Eheim 1262? :)

Thanks!
Dave

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ampmaster. I have never had a sequence pump last more than 24 months for me without needing seals, bearings or a motor.

They are all pretty expensive ways of moving water. Why not some flow pumps at way less watts?

SquidBreath

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hey guys! Thanks for all the replies!
It's cool that the Reeflo pumps are local to Colorado...but even the smallest one is too much pump for the job.
And jda123 hey! I am using flow pumps currently--and they work well...but I am doing something different in this project that calls for closed loops.
Going to see if I can get a little more boost out of the Eheims by modifying the plumbing...but currently noodling around the idea of the Reef Octopus Diablo. The DC variable speed is pretty attractive, and they are getting good reviews. Anyone had any experience with these?
I am excited about this build...working on a build thread, but not going to post until I am nearly done. (A Jedi does not wait five years for a sequel, young paduan...) :)
Thanks again for all the input guys!

mathewkofalk

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Jebao has a dc return pump line I'm using th largest one to power 4 tanks and will be adding 4 reactors best part they are cheap I got 2 shipped from hong kong for 295 bucks

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a Diablo DC 10500. It is as advertised with wattage, output and head. I have no idea if they are quality since I have only had it for a few months. If it is still kicking on 5+ years, then I will consider it quality.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I run it submerged and it is pretty quiet. It is not as quiet as a really good external pump, but it is pretty good.

SquidBreath

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm with you on the external pumps. Best pump I ever had was a Dolphin Ampmaster. But that's way too much power for what I need.

Even with the much-acclaimed Reeflo pumps I would have to throttle them down. Need to get to about 1500 to 1800 at 1-foot head. The last time I throttled down an external pump, it started to groan more and more over time until it was an annoyance and had to be replaced.
Does Reeflo make a product in that range...or that can be made to operate in that range? Would love to keep my dollars in Colorado.
Silence and power.....but not too much power. :) They will be used exclusively externally.

ValG

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
I just ordered Reeflo Trident 3. Supposedly it's really quiet and has three speed settings from 1100 gph to 2700 gph. If you don't end up buying one from someone here may be worth checking it out. Comes with two year warranty also.