Fiji Barberii Compatability

Sour137

Cleaner Shrimp
Hello all, so the next fish I would like to add to my tank would be clownfish. My goal is to create an almost entirely Fijian biotope tank so naturally I am drawn to the Fiji Barberi clowns. I have read that they can be quite assertive, and I am wondering if my more passive fish would be too stressed out by them. Right now I have a firefish (not Fiji), a banded sleeper goby, 3 lyretail anthias, and 4 Banggai cardinalfish (not fiji, but too cool to pass up). The anthias are already one of the more dominant fish in the tank. They dominate the upper bit of the tank, and the goby dominates the bottom. The Banggai cardinals are the ones I am concerned about. The anthias do not seem to bother them too much, and I've even seen the females swim with the school. The goby will on occasion be assertive with them, charging at them for a moment, and then going back to grazing. Thus far there has not been any damaged fins, and the Banggais and the firefish all seem quite healthy. Will the barberis be too aggresive in the tank? I only plan on getting two of them to minimize aggression towards each other. I know that female Banggais can be aggresive towards the males in the tank, but as far as I can tell, and I have spent several hours staring at the sex organs on the Banggais, I have four males. From what I have read they are not hermaphroditic, so for now I'm not too concerned about aggression between them. I would also like to add a bristletooth tomini tang at some point more distant in the future, but beyond that I do not have any other fish I would like to add at this time. So to reiterate my question, will the Fiji barberi clownfish pair be too aggresive to other fish in the tank and create too much stress in the weaker ones, namely the Banggais and the firefish?

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I've owned all the fish you listed and never had aggression problems with ocellarus clowns. Not sure how much more aggressive Fiji ones are in comparison, but I wouldn't think you would have a problem as long as your tank has plenty of space. Adding them later definitely helps.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
I don't know if I have seen anyone with this clown yet as it's a fairly new one. It's said to have a temperament similar to tomato clowns though. Generally fairly assertive but usually won't bother other fish that aren't a clown