Frag Tank Perks?

When trimming my corals from killing each other I like to glue the fragged bits on a plug or rock to share or get store credit. But I hate the frag racks in my main display, they look great when full but when its empty its an eye sore. Is there a perk of having a frag tank (dimention wise) verses a 10 or 20 gallon tank? It will be in my basement and not for show so looks are not involved, just asking if there is a good reason for coral health or growth or water chemistry?

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Is the frag tank going to be hooked up to your main display or stand-alone?

Generally speaking, the bigger the tank, the easier it is to maintain stable water parameters (it takes a bigger change to make a significant swing). I don't know if that is a big difference when you're talking 10 vs 20 gal but a 40 gal tank will have more significant swings than a 400 gal. If the tank is hooked up to the main and sharing the same water parameters as the main, it probably doesn't make any difference at all.

Good Question! No it is not, I have a RSM 130D, 34gal, and there is not viable option for me to hook it up to. It would be stand alone.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
If you keep it separate from the main system you can use it coral QT for all new incoming corals. the necessity of this will depend on how many and how often you bring in new corals, but this way you wont risk introducing pests into the main tank. Otherwise it would just be useful for growout, and to get the frag racks out of the display, and if hooked to the main system will increase the water volume and potentially make the system more stable, but as halmus pointed out 10-20g will only make a small difference, if any, in stability

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I think most people prefer the shorter dimensions so they don't have to spend as much on lighting and so it's easier to get corals in and out.

I didn't even think of lighting requirements, Mike! Makes sense I rather get something that is efficient to run and cheaper.

Syn, your exactly right on the coral QT! I have 2 coral QT running all the time, one for first and sometimes second dip and then a small observation tank after the first month passes (in case eggs). I learned with my very first coral trade that "I have no bugs" can mean I have bugs and don't know. Luckily that was the first and last time I have had a pest in my main tank. My QT on the other hand...... ughghghhhhhhh the things I have seen, LOL. Great point for newers that are reading along.

And that is why I think it is time for a separate frag tank. If my tank is clean and healthy I would not want to risk putting valuable frags from my DT in a QT that could be hosting some monsters in wait. I might start a tank build on this....