FS: Hanna Calcium Checker

$70 for a Checker and extra set of reagents. Brand new in box. I bought three sets so I could get free shipping. Have two extras.

Located near Aquamart in Lakewood.

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Do you like it?

ChrisB

Butterfly Fish
I hear the regents cost for this test is high. True? I'd be tempted. Or just buy a test from you lol

My calcium is always questionably high so it be nice to get a reading of something trustworthy.

Here is my review.

To begin, I used my Salifert Calcium test to get a baseline reading. I've done this test dozens of times and didn't need to read the directions. It took me 3 minutes to complete, and I came up with a reading of 445ppm Calcium.

I then opened my Hanna Calcium checker and read the instructions. Overall the test is not as simple as the Hanna Alk test, and I had a few problems. There is a powder (more like crystals) in a tear package. I found it extremely difficult to get the powder into the test vial, and I ended up spilling half the powder on the table with my first test attempt. After I realized this would be a problem, I made a funnel with a small piece of paper and started again. My second attempt went without incident and I zeroed the checker with RO water and Test Reagent 1, then added 0.1ml of tank water, and the powdered reagent 2 using the funnel I made. Put it into the checker and pushed the button for results. Coincidentally, the checker came back with a calcium reading of 445ppm as well. The second Hanna test also took around 3 minutes.

Overall I like the process, once I do it a few times the time should go down. If you purchase the test, I recommend getting a 10ml syringe (instead of using the cheapo dropper Hanna provides) and make or purchase a small funnel to get the dry reagent into the test cuvette. Each Hanna Calcium test will also cost you about $0.80 in reagents for each test. A set of reagents suitable for 25 tests will run you $20.

ChrisB

Butterfly Fish
the price inst that horrible actually.