GFO ????????

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
So...Im about venture into the world of GFO. What GFO is everyone using and do you have any pointers?

* FYI I am going to be using a SpectraPure Dual Chamber Reactor

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I have used brs in the past with success. Rinse (flush thru the reactor) thoroughly. Start with half recommended amount. IMHO

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
ThunderTwonk;289516 said:
My first question is why? I assume you have a phosphate issue?
Short and fast answer yes after several years of non-testing and water changes only, I have developed some pretty high phosphate test kit results. Odd thing is that I do not have in anyway shape or form have an algae issue of any kind. I also have excellent growth and polyp extension on everything (sps, lps and zoas). Really its very odd because you would never guess they are as high as the repeated test kit said if you looked at my tank.

Anyway I am guessing that the phosphates are a combination result of not running a skimmer (or any other phosphate control methods aside from cheato), zero open sand bed and possibly heavy feeding NFS pellets. Anyway I would like to get these down to a normal range and have determined (still open for different suggestions and or methods) that GFO is my best methods of lowering.

Picture of my tank just a few days ago.

Last edited by a moderator:

fishguy69

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you want to get rid of phosphates fast use Rowaphos and then when you get to a lower level, .10 or lower, go to GFO for a maintenance. IMO GFO takes allot of time to remove the high phosphates. This is how we have always combated the war on phosphates.

V

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
If everything is doing well and you have no algae issues I'd be concerned about the test kit as well. If assuming the test kit is correct what kind of levels are we talking about?

if you really have been running with high po4 for a long period of time I think I'd be more concerned with dropping it too quickly. If you do go the GFO route I too like the BRS brand but would be very careful to take it slow and test often with a couple different test kits. Just my thoughts. I'm no expert on the matter.

i can tell you one thing however. In the past I have run allot of GFO and have never even come close to the success with Zoas you have. That's not say by any means that has anything to do with the GFO but it has long been a suspect of mine.

asn-naso

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Chad - I use BRS GFO, but only have 1/2 cup or so in my reactor. My tank is pretty clean, but I get a weird bright green film/cyano type of algae. I also have some different macro's in a small fuge.

I agree with Kris. Your tank looks pretty good. I don't know if I would mess with it if I were you. (if it aint broke, don't fix it) I know the zoas like dirtier water, maybe it's the phosphates they crave?

fishguy69

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Definitely go the GFO route for slow removal. Don't want to mess up all those beautiful zoas. Low amounts of the Rowaphose will reduce at a lower rate. Try GFO first.

V

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
CRW Reef;289523 said:
Short and fast answer yes after several years of non-testing and water changes only, I have developed some pretty high phosphate test kit results. Odd thing is that I do not have in anyway shape or form have an algae issue of any kind. I also have excellent growth and polyp extension on everything (sps, lps and zoas). Really its very odd because you would never guess they are as high as the repeated test kit said if you looked at my tank.

Anyway I am guessing that the phosphates are a combination result of not running a skimmer (or any other phosphate control methods aside from cheato), zero open sand bed and possibly heavy feeding NFS pellets. Anyway I would like to get these down to a normal range and have determined (still open for different suggestions and or methods) that GFO is my best methods of lowering.

Picture of my tank just a few days ago.

I agree...if it ain't broke don't fix it. No need to chase numbers. My zoas never appreciated gfo...every time I would switch it out, most of the zoas would shrink up a little.

Blindrage

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
+1 to the BRS stuff.

I used Rawphos to get mine down from ~.5 to under .1/ Then switched to normal GFO from BRS to keep it there. Just make sure to rinse it well before hooking it back up to the tank. Lots of red/orange water in the first 30 seconds or so.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
All of the GFO on the market is made/sourced by the same company. Rowa is the same as BRS if you get the stuff with the same capacity. Too much capacity is not always a good thing.