Halide question

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I'm actually looking at the better reflectors now. A bit more $ but don't want to do this again. The cayman sun fixture with an electronic ballast. I'll use the phoenix 14K which I love and looks more like a 20K IMHO or go with the new Hamilton 20K which they say appears almost exactly like the phoenix with slightly more par. I have had good luck with my hamilton bulbs for the past 2 years. I ran my 14K for 18 months before replacing. I'd probably go a bit less this time as my corals suffered after about 15 or so months.

I think I want to go with three fixtures as that will give me the best spread but still am undecided about the wattage. I'd definitely do the 250's if I was only doing 2 fixtures but with three the 150 will do nicely without the power consumption 450 watts or 750 watts. Who has experience with 150 watt halides and [FONT=verdana, geneva, lucida, lucida grande, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]sps? [/FONT]

Luke.Fraizer

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a friend who runs 150w halides on a 28 biocube. His sps are about 4 inches from the surface and they do alright. He runs a 10k bulb however. Not sure on the difference with the Phoenix. His colors seem to fade quickly on a milli I had him hold for me but that could be due to the 10k bulb as well. His LPS and Zooa look amazing though. Not sure how deep that tank is though.

Luke