High Altitude salt water aquarium parameters

Hello,

I want to reach out to see who follows the "increased" method of maintaining parameters at an increased level due to high altitude.

I hear of some people keeping SG at 1.023 and others keep SG at 1.026. Obviously a higher SG means elevated mag, Alk and calcium levels over sea level parameters.

Thoughts???

Badgervet

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Depends on what your keeping in the tank. I was taught lower sg is okay for fowler tanks but reef tanks should be around 1.025. I have two small reef tanks and shoot for 1.025. I don't check my parameters as often as I should ( I.e. calcium, mag,etc) because I do a 15% change every 7-8days. I don't have a ton of livestock either though

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I've never heard of changing salinity, but I keep my temp a bit lower ~76F to help oxygenation.
My parameters are:
35ppt (1.026)
8.1-8.4pH
480 calcium
10.5 dKH
1600+ mag.

reefkoi

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
We had a whacko down here when I first got into the hobby telling us salinity needed to be low like 1.021 we kinda brushed him off but I'm sure scientifically it makes sense but isn't needed I don't think

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
The reasoning behind the lower sg up here is for the oxygen content of the water. The theory reads that higher sg(1.026) water holds less oxygen than lower sg water(1.021). I don't have an ORP sensor to confirm, but I'm sure it would be an excellent science project for someone.

Sent using Forum Runner

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
rockys_pride;173251 said:
The reasoning behind the lower sg up here is for the oxygen content of the water. The theory reads that higher sg(1.026) water holds less oxygen than lower sg water(1.021). I don't have an ORP sensor to confirm, but I'm sure it would be an excellent science project for someone.

Sent using Forum Runner
It's definitely true that higher salinity yields lower oxygenation in the water. A good example of this is the "Dead Sea"...which is unable to support life due to it's high level of salinity and low oxygen content.

Concerning our tanks and the relative difference between maintaining one here vs. sea level...I definitely don't have the expertise to comment on whether or not a SG of 1.026 vs say 1.024 would really yield a noticeably lower oxygen content in the water given the same conditions apart from altitude. Considering the number of people that are able to maintain tanks at a SG of 1.026 at elevation...I'd guess any difference is negligible.

That being said, I have actually researched a little in the past on altitude and oxygen content. I would venture to guess that maintaining an acceptable temperature and surface agitation is going to be more crucial in maintaining dissolved oxygen, and I wouldn't worry much about the salinity.

Here's a cool 3 dimensional chart that compares dissolved oxygen vs. temperature and altitude. You can see that at lower temperatures (well beyond where we keep our reefs) altitude has a MUCH higher effect on dissolved oxygen content...where in comparison at temps in the range of 25 degrees Celcius, altitude has much less of an effect on O2 saturation. Although salinity isn't on the chart...if you were to keep salinity at a constant, acceptable level, altitude would have a minimal effect on your O2 content at the temps we keep our tanks.

Edit: I got curious and looked into this some more. The relationship between SG and oxygenation is non-linear...as SG increases it has a diminished effect on the dissolved oxygen content. So, although there's likely a huge difference between oxygenation of RO water vs our salt mix, the difference in dissolved oxygen between SG of 1.024 and 1.026 is much lower. Still looking for a chart/data on the subject, but inverse relationship likely looks similar to the one between O2 and temp in the chart I linked.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't top off my tank much at all since it's closed (biocube). I usually start at 1024, and when it gets to 1026 then I add top off water. Seems to work just fine for me, and my ridiculous number of cpg (corals per gallon ;) )

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Your welcome. :)

Lol...Dunno how big the brain is...but it was definitely force-fed tons of info studying biophysics in college. I still had an aquarium at the time, and tried to relate as much info as I could to the hobby to help with the comprehension. Guess I was able to retain some of that "useless" info. ;)