hmmm ID help

SLewis

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
So i was doing tank maintenance today and i found this hitch hiker on my live rock which i know it was not there last week or even over a month ago when i put it in my tank. its size is approx 5mm or about the size of a dime. View attachment 11203

SLewis

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
thats what i thought, does it get bigger? i wonder how long it will last with a draggon wrasse and a clown trigger in the tank

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
hmmm ID help

Not much bigger. I had an 8 leg one that was about an inch or so... I had a Niger trigger and a Lunare wrasse, and haven't seen any of those guys since, so yeah, they might be gone soon.

hmmm ID help

Astraea starfish... I you don't have anything that eats them they will continuously reproduce and there could be hundreds... Not specifically a nuisance to corals but can take nutrients meant for other livestock... Some people hate them and some people don't mind them...

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: hmmm ID help

This guy hates them, they ate about 30 polyps of Space Monsters. Bob says that there are many species that look the same, could be why some eat coral and some don't.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk HD

joeMASC

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
I just learned harlequin shrimp will eat them, but if you have other starfish you like, you might not want to get the harlequins because that may be all they eat.

The Harlequin Shrimp was first scientifically described in 1852. The Harlequin Shrimp have a white body with large light blue spots, and the males are slightly smaller than the female. It differs from its close cousin, the HawaiianH. picta which has purple and red spots. It has large claws (chelipeds) which are for show only; it does not use them for hunting. The Harlequin Shrimp is best kept as mated pairs in an aquarium with moderate light. The Harlequin Shrimp can not tolerate copper or high nitrates, and iodine levels must be correct and maintained to ensure proper molting.
It is very particular about what it will eat, dining only on echinoderms, primarily starfish, and a few urchin species. It will eat starfish (Linckia, Fromia sp.) by starting at the tip of the arm and working its way to the central disc. The starfish may shed the arm, but is often mortally wounded.
As its primary source of food, you will need to supply the Harlequin Shrimp with starfish (Asterias rubens for adults, and Linckia for juveniles). The adults may also eat sea urchins.

SLewis

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
as of now its in a fowlr with with 2 clowns, 1 green chromis, 1 coral bandid, 1 draggon wrasse and 1 clown trigger. all of them are still small. so if nothing eats it ill probably just let him stay untill i see an out break

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
H2O_intolerant;219773 said:
This guy hates them, they ate about 30 polyps of Space Monsters. Bob says that there are many species that look the same, could be why some eat coral and some don't.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk HD
+2 they took out 2 whole colonies I had of Primo zoanthids. Get a Harlequin and get rid of them. I was in the boat of "they dont harm anything" until they took out over $500 worth of zoanthids. Its not a matter of if but when.