1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. Thanks
    Dismiss Notice

ID flatworms?

Discussion in 'Pests and Possible Troublesome Inverts' started by MuralReef, Sep 14, 2015.

1. MuralReef

MuralReef Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C Club Member

Are these planarians? They are not red but showing up on the glass of my 40 breeder with all of the pods in the library. View attachment 24442

2. zombie

zombie Barracuda M.A.S.C Club Member

Hard to tell. I would hit em with flatware exit anyway just to play it safe.

3. MuralReef

4. BrianH

BrianH Prawn Staff Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C Club Member

Good article, thanks for posting it. A word of caution if you decide to use flatworm exit, or levamisole in your tank. I have done cycles of both treatments successfully installed two different tanks in the past and it has had a negative effect on my echinoderms (starfish, sea cucumbers, and urchins). Their flared gills, slow movement, falling over upside down, and general suffering is hard to watch. All survived but if I ever had to do that series of treatments again I would remove them for the duration.

5. MuralReef

I don't think they are a threat. They don't look like any of the AEF species and since I've only noticed them on the glass in the 40 with all of the pods I think they may be feasting on them.

6. MuralReef

Treating with Flatworm exit is a pain. I did it on the 360 and it required a lot of attention. I am all for leaving harmless species alone. I think it adds an interesting level of diversity.

7. BrianH

I'm with you on that, I love finding new tiny critters in the tank..... usually.

8. zombie

zombie Barracuda M.A.S.C Club Member

I felt the same was and then out of the blue their population boomed out of control and became a nuisance. It took almost a year for that to take place (my guess is my mandarin and wrasses decided they didn't like the taste of them anymore).

9. jda123

jda123 Barracuda M.A.S.C Club Member

Get them early. If you get too many, their toxins can kill your fish and inverts when you treat for them.

10. BrianH

Funny you just posted, Im reading your "aefw: in tank whooping" thread on rc right now.[emoji4]

11. Otis

Otis Copepod

I could not see the attachment.

12. Off The Deep End

Off The Deep End Marlin M.A.S.C Club Member

+1

13. MuralReef

Guys this post is 2 years old! I don't recall if they were or not, but I am not worried about it anymore!

Otis and SynDen like this.
  14. Off The Deep End

Off The Deep End Marlin M.A.S.C Club Member

lol glad you got it under control :)

MuralReef likes this.
  15. ReefCheif

ReefCheif Marlin M.A.S.C Club Member

Get a scooter blenny and target mandarin, problem solved

16. Otis

Otis Copepod

Great then.