ID Please - Cyano?

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
What is this? Started after I dropped my salinity in my FOWLR display. Still have low salinity and it's growing a lot. I see some bubbles. Nitrates have been very high after my tank cycled due to the hypo drop as well, now they read about 40ppm. Fish are all totally fine.

View attachment 10668 View attachment 10669 View attachment 10670

reefmaster719

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: ID Please - Cyano?

Weird. Maybe thick cyano red slime algae.

sent from my EVO eater

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks for the thoughts, guys. Cadre, here are my levels. Seems I've confirmed good conditions for cyano. Phosphates blew me away, I tested as you asked for the level, but thought I cleanly got rid of my phosphate issues a long time ago. Also, this growth is after 1 week out of town with skimmer off. Probably did the trick as well with dissolved organics. I feed somewhat heavily, but no gelatin in the frozen foods. Although maybe that's where the phosphates are coming from. I see the cyano growing happily in my algae scrubber as well.

Salinity - 1.013
Amm/Ntrite - 0
Ntrate - 40
Temp - 78
pH - 8.0-8.2
PO4 - .1ppm

Total flow is low for tank, about 800gph from return on 200g system. I may throw a powerhead in to see what happens over time.

I have poor lighting for this tank, 30" high and the marineland double bright (48-60" below). As I have a FOWLR with a volitans lion (seems to favor less lighting), I didn't think too much light was necessary.

[TABLE]
[TR="bgcolor: #336699"]
[TD]Model
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]# of White
6000°K
Daylight
LED's
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]# of Blue
460nm
Lunar
LED's
[/TD]
[TD]Lumens[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Lamp
Only
Length
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Lamp
& Legs
Length
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]18-24"
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]6[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]3[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]450[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]16.75" x 5.25" x 0.5"[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]18.75" x 5.25" x 1.75"[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="bgcolor: #94c2dc"]
[TD]24-36"
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]8[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]4[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]600[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]22.75" x 5.25" x 0.5"[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]24.5" x 5.25" x 1.75"[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]36-48"
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]16[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]8[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]1,200[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]34.75" x 5.25" x 0.5"[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]36.5" x 5.25" x 1.75"[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="bgcolor: #94c2dc"]
[TD]48-60"
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]24[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]12[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]1800[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]46.75" x 5.25" x 0.5"[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]48.5" x 5.25" x 1.75"[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Call me wierd, but I don't think its ugly. It doesn't bother me. But I suppose it could be bad for the fish? Any thoughts on this or my lighting as a possible cause?

It's not necessarily a big issue but cyano can take over fairly quickly so I would siphon it out when you do your next water change. Extra flow won't hurt. Your lighting probably isn't an issue since it's a FOWLR tank and you're running a turf scrubber.

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
No doubt that is cyano. Like cadre mentioned, siphon what you can out. Would also check to see if there is a dead area there of no flow if thats the only place its growing. Maybe reposition a return or pump to hit that spot after you siphon.

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks guys. I have yet to see a pic that looks anything like this stuff. Crazy. Must be a variety that likes low salinity.

Will do on all the above. I may try changing my RO/DI prefilters as well, these may need replacement...seems that can be a contributing factor per research...

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm trying to slow it down while I eliminate the sources. So I don't have to re-siphon the whole tank (wow that was a lot of work). Think I should try Chemiclean?

Or Amquel / Prime etc? On the basis that Prime "detoxifies nitrate"?

I think the source water may be a problem in addition to the phosphates. Changed out all RO/DI, ordered getting a new whole house filter (carbon block). That will take time to cycle out all the dissolved solids in the tank. Otherwise, I added 1300gph flow, reduced lighting cycle, am going through big water changes, and now have my ATS truly online.

ValG

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
I have used Chemiclean with great result, although it's not a long term solution.

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Used Chemi-clean and siphoned again, also started dosing Lanthanum to reduce phosphates. Looks like I kicked it for now!