Info on Derasa clam mantle? Sorry to ask so many questions here...

ThatsDeep!

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
We have balanced and stable water conditions [knock on wood] but a friend noticed that our clam has receded and no longer brings his mantle over the edge of shell. We have a Valentini [?] puffer who has been seen nipping at this and other things quite often. He is not supposed to do much puffing either but is nipping clam and ...puffing aa couple times a day. I have read that certain fish will damage the mantle and kill the clam.

Some web info says that if nuisance fish is removed clam can come back from this, some say he is toast. I seem to get good help here and love this Colorado only sight - which is why I joined it. Anyone have any thoughts on this snafu on this cold snowy mutha's day ?

Thanks,

Jody

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I've read this specific fish eats clams. So if you're hoping to save the clam, I'd remove the puffer. Whether or not it's too far gone is hard to say.

ThatsDeep!

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks Munch. That's pretty much what we'd decided and have spent the last hour and a half trying to catch it. Lesson #687,294 in reef tanks :) Gotta love it.

J

ThatsDeep!

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Seriously? I have not heard of this before. This is not like muffler bearings or something is it? I would kill to get this fish out of the tank before it damages the clam more. It is brutal.

aztecdreams

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Lol Yea it actually works pretty good. I've caught a few that I had to get out of my tank. Let me know. I'm in NorthDenver

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
ThatsDeep!;308794 said:
Seriously? I have not heard of this before. This is not like muffler bearings or something is it? I would kill to get this fish out of the tank before it damages the clam more. It is brutal.
Fish traps work well. Do you have a sump to put the clam in while you catch the fish?

ThatsDeep!

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
We have a refugium - I am thinking I hear people talk about sumps like it is the same but you don't mean to put clam in the refuge, right?

ThatsDeep!

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
aztec - that is not so far, so if you are really okay with that, I would love to borrow it. How much space does it take up in the tank [ roughly]. We have a 55 gal tank but quite a bit of live rock etc. I would need to make sure we can get it in there.

Thanks guys - really appreciate your help. I pm'd you my cell so if you could text or give me a call I would love to find out the size of trap and see if I could get a time to come and borrow. I don't think I want anymore fish, but H is already researching what is reef safe.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Ya refuge works if it big enough for the clam and has some light. Just be careful not to damage the clams foot when taking it out. If it attached to any rock or something you will have to take the rock out with the clam on it.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
SynDen;308817 said:
Ya refuge works if it big enough for the clam and has some light. Just be careful not to damage the clams foot when taking it out. If it attached to any rock or something you will have to take the rock out with the clam on it.
Plus 1

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Also your thread title.. no need to be sorry for asking questions, we are all here to help each other out. Ask as many questions as you need to and whenever you need to :)