Interesting letter in the mail today...

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

Brighton sent us a copy of the water testing results they've done over the year. Thought it was interesting that there is a fair amount of copper in the water here; RO/DI takes care of that, right?

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

BigeYo;254127 said:
Funny how the water treatment plant sign says "Reverse Osmosis Water Treatment Facility" on Bromley..
Yeah... Brighton actually ROs the water and then adds well water back in for taste!! Why can't they leave that part out?!?!

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

CindyL;254152 said:
WTH? That makes absolutely no sense. At all.
It does from a drinking water standpoint. RO water has nothing in it. Therefore it has no taste. They add well water back in for taste. All of the minerals and what not from well water give it that "taste." (This is actually why Fiji water tastes so good as well. It's got the highest ppm of dissolved solids of any bottled water because its naturally filtered through an aquifer.) I personally think that Brighton water tastes like poop and onions, quite possibly the 2 worst things in the world, so I agree that I'd prefer RO tap water because I buy bottled water to drink anyways!

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'd drink straight RO all day long over tap water. I don't want my water to have flavor. I want it to hydrate and detox. People are just silly.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
RO can cause long term damage to organisms without enough enough spare elements when the water takes it out of them. The RO will suck elements out of things since RO state is not natural. For example, fish will die within hours of being in RO water. People are probably fine, but small animals and stuff can also get hurt.

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

jda123;254158 said:
RO can cause long term damage to organisms without enough enough spare elements when the water takes it out of them. The RO will suck elements out of things since RO state is not natural. For example, fish will die within hours of being in RO water. People are probably fine, but small animals and stuff can also get hurt.
??!! I think you mean DEionized water. Most major water purification techniques utilize a reverse osmosis system. My old fridge water went through a RO membrane!

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
All of that is for human consumption, not general use. Even without DI, the water is pretty unstable and will look to suck stuff out of other stuff (scientific term). RO and/or DI water has basically become a solvent that is not stable, which is mild doses is probably OK, but in excess, like for small organisms, can be deadly. Most bottled water has elements added back... and most RO membranes on home/commercial drinking water systems are only like 90% efficient, on purpose.

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

jda123;254161 said:
All of that is for human consumption, not general use. Even without DI, the water is pretty unstable and will look to suck stuff out of other stuff (scientific term). RO and/or DI water has basically become a solvent that is not stable, which is mild doses is probably OK, but in excess, like for small organisms, can be deadly. Most bottled water has elements added back... and most RO membranes on home/commercial drinking water systems are only like 90% efficient, on purpose.
The scientific term you're looking for is hydroscopic. Do you have any sources for this info? This is not at all what my research has come up with!

FinsUp

M.A.S.C Club Member
Blazinjack;254160 said:
??!! I think you mean DEionized water. Most major water purification techniques utilize a reverse osmosis system. My old fridge water went through a RO membrane!
Yeah. RO units are quite common upgrades to a kitchen sink, as most people would prefer to drink pure water. It removes the crap that isn't supposed to be there - like the chlorine and other garbage that we add to it - and leaves behind H2O.

FinsUp

M.A.S.C Club Member
jda123;254161 said:
Sooo... what you're saying is that H2O is an unstable solvent? Really? Interesting.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
http://www.who.int/water_sanitation_health/dwq/nutdemineralized.pdf

Experiments have been conducted in
laboratory animals and human volunteers, and observational data have been
obtained from populations supplied with desalinated water, individuals drinking
reverse osmosis-treated demineralised water, and infants given beverages
prepared with distilled water. Because limited information is available from
these studies, we should also consider the results of epidemiological studies
where health effects were compared for populations using low-mineral (soft)
water and more mineral-rich waters. Demineralised water that has not been
remineralised is considered an extreme case of low-mineral or soft water
because it contains only small amounts of dissolved minerals such as calcium
and magnesium that are the major contributors to hardness.
The possible health consequences of low mineral content water consumption
are discussed in the following categories:
• Direct effects on the intestinal mucous membrane, metabolism and mineral
homeostasis or other body functions.
• Practically zero calcium and magnesium intake.
• Low intake of other essential elements and microelements.
• Loss of calcium, magnesium and other essential elements in prepared food.
• Possible increased dietary intake of toxic metals leached from water pipe.
• Possible bacterial re-growth.
A lot of the newer drinking water systems actually contain a remineralization filter...they take out the "bad stuff" then add in an appropriate balance of minerals. If you eat healthy and take a daily vitamin you may be OK...but if you are trying to replenish water AND electrolyte loss due to exercising, etc., relying on RO water can in fact be a bit dangerous.

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

jahmic;254166 said:
http://www.who.int/water_sanitation_health/dwq/nutdemineralized.pdf

A lot of the newer drinking water systems actually contain a remineralization filter...they take out the "bad stuff" then add in an appropriate balance of minerals. If you eat healthy and take a daily vitamin you may be OK...but if you are trying to replenish water AND electrolyte loss due to exercising, etc., relying on RO water can in fact be a bit dangerous.
That is very interesting indeed!! Glad I didn't hook up my RO water to a drinking faucet!

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Loveland has the best tasting water IMO, comes out of the tap at 25-40 ppm and is amazing for drinking. When my family comes into town from MN they always fill water jugs for the ride home instead of bottled water, just tastes better!

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ReeferMatt;254179 said:
Loveland has the best tasting water IMO, comes out of the tap at 25-40 ppm and is amazing for drinking. When my family comes into town from MN they always fill water jugs for the ride home instead of bottled water, just tastes better!

Yup Fort Collins and Loveland have some of the best water in the country.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Not hydroscopic - that is the ability of substances to absorb water. Rather the inverse, where pure water is looking for osmosis and will actively, and aggressively pull ions and elements from substances through osmosis.

Water becomes more of a solvent as it becomes more pure. Water with some stuff in it is stable.

Browse through some discus or FW planted tank forums and see what happens when people forget to add RO-Right (or similar) to their RO water before water changes, or when a auto-topoff sticks on and fill their tank with pure water (even though it is fresh). The fish die very quickly and the plants go downhill very fast.

I have a RO/DI filter hooked up in my kitchen. I use it in my fridge, for cooking and drinking. I would not use it on plants, for the pets, etc. I also don't use it to fill water bottles for exercising.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm in NW Denver, and although our supply is still managed by Denver Water, we get it from a different source than the central areas of the city. My water comes in at 65ppm...I bring a nalgene to work everyday since it tastes like crap out of the faucet here in comparison. :p

FinsUp

M.A.S.C Club Member
When I had an undersink RO unit (back in N Virginia because the water absolutely sucked there), I used the water for my plants, drinking, and cleaning. Never had a problem. It's actually fantastic for cleaning- I cut the amount of chemicals I used for cleaning by 75% at least because I didn't need them. My plants seemed fine- really happy with it, actually, which I attributed to the lack of chlorine, lead, copper, and other crap in the water. I have a bamboo plant that's at least 6' tall now, and has grown new sprouts recently, that started as 8" sticks from the import store.