Kessil Lights, vs other lighting types.

For Those that subscribe to R2R sorry for the cross post. I am looking at lighting for my 225 (72" X 30"W X 24" T) I am leaning toward Kessil A360W some where between 3 - 4 unless more are needed. I am interested in replies from those that currently have LED's or have had them and moved to another source. I know the lights I am looking at will have sufficient PAR value for what I will be keep as long as what has been stated on BRS is accurate (I have no reason to doubt them) Anyway my question is this, Does the cost of a LED out weight the cost of T-5 including bulb replacement and electric cost. Has anybody experienced premature failure after the warranty? or degradation of spectrum?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Chris_W

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
Check out SB reef LED's. Running the Wi-Fi units over a 96x30x24. They've got a Facebook support page and a r2r forum. (Apologies in advance if this suggestion goes against any TOU policy)

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I think that I might have replied on the r2r thread... I don't use LEDs on large tanks since reflectors are more economical (up front and ongoing) and cover better, but if I did, Kessil would be my last choice. Their small point of light makes for too many shadows and their cone of output is too small with too much under-covered area on the sides. I would end up likely with 9 of them - 3 in each 2x2 area. I would only ever consider them on a really small tank.

If you want to see what an under-lit LED reef tank looks like and you are up north, stop by The Fish Crew and see their tank as you walk in with corals dead on the bottom and only alive at the top - this is not normal. Animal Attraction in Greeley has the same problem. Both of these tanks likely need twice as many panels as they are using.

I would expect Kessil to last well beyond the warranty - you don't hear of many failures. They seem to be stand-up as far as warranty goes. Diodes do degrade. Nobody keeps a unit long enough to find out, but after about five years there are concerns about spectrum shift... but until people will use a unit for that long, then who cares.

Larger tanks are hard to light with panels. Reflectors are your friend, but stuff that reflects cannot be controlled from the couch or infinitely played with. If tinkering does not concern you, then definitely look at reflectors. If you are anywhere near Boulder, I can show you some lights on some larger tanks if you want to stop by.

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
Under normal circumstances I would say LEDs are cheaper in the long run because sure it's pricey up front but you aren't replacing them year after year and those T5 bulbs aren't cheap. Most fixtures have 5 bulbs in them and it's every 6 months or so? Forget it... but on a more realistic point of view people upgrade their radeons every generation it seems. The LEDs have potential to last about 15 years but people upgrade hem constantly. I wouldn't go with Kessil because of their coverage as mentioned in a previous post. Overall I think LEDs plain look better. If you're making a choice based on price alone you probably won't be happy with your aquarium in the long run. Be honest, you want it to look amazing. LEDs do that. T5 look blah IMO. I love my Hydra HD and they word wireless without any additional hardware. I use an app on my tablet to control them.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
The most economical way to light a mixed larger reef is with 150W Halides. Each can easily cover 2x2 area and 14K phoenix bulbs last for two years and grow nearly anything, anywhere. The color and growth are amazing and need no supplements. They do not hardly put out any heat - they are a halide and have some - but it is a blessing here in Colorado to offset the heaters some. Fixtures are cheap. 450W ongoing for a 6 foot tank is cheap. $180 in bulbs every other year. These cannot really be beaten for both cost and performance. However, they are not "cool" to the new crowd, so most people don't even look a them even though the only thing they don't do better is dusk/dawn and thunderstorms. I have a few of these that you can borrow if you want to try out the look stuff - they are just sitting. I get that they are not "cool" though.

BTW - anybody changing their T5 bulbs at 6 months needs to buy different kinds next time... there are many that easily last a year. I know that people do this, but it is not necessary at all unless you are using some really cheap Chinese fixtures like Odyssea, or the like.

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
jda123;n677302 said:
BTW - anybody changing their T5 bulbs at 6 months needs to buy different kinds next time... there are many that easily last a year. I know that people do this, but it is not necessary at all unless you are using some really cheap Chinese fixtures like Odyssea, or the like.
it actually depends more on how long you run them daily not just months. I've researched them enough to know good/bad brands but time is the biggest factor. 6 bulbs ranging from $20-25 a bulb every 6-12 months adds up. Cost wise I think LEDs make more sense if you can keep from upgrading fixtures. Asthetics are opinion of course. I wouldn't say I don't like MH because of cool factor. They just don't look great, but again that is just my opinion. The power consumption of LEDs is also quite a bit lower. Then the heat factor. Then the buzzing from halide. I had a halide before LEDs and love the LEDs path i went with.

then there are pictures like this one showing why LEDs might look better to someone.

either way no matter what lights you go with we will want to see your tank and enjoy it.