KH/Calc Balance

Fitz19d

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I've been bad and not paid real close attention to these numbers figuring what water changes I did and the rare test and supplement was keeping things alive at least. So I've known goal numbers for other things, but for calc/kh never really knew other than calc > 400.

Would really like to get this part of my chemistry actually under close watch/dialed in. I'm assuming I'll eventually with my needs probably be doing some light 2 part dosing.

So here's the new tanks numbers, best I could get w/ my crappy tests.

10/14/13
DKH 7.5
Calc 440
PH 8.2-8.4
Temp 78
Salinity 1.023 (Raising to 1.025)
Phos .25 or 0
Nitrate 10-20ppm
No magnesium test but young tank w/ a mix of kent/IO/Via Aqua Ocean Pure fresh water I'm sure is fine I'd think.

How is my ratio of KH to Calc?

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Alk is a little low.

You will want...scratch that...you will need to test your magnesium before making any adjustments. If it's low then you will have issues getting your Alk to increase and stabilize no matter how much you dose.

Coralline algae growth can consume magnesium fairly rapidly...continuous growth might be a halfway decent indicator of sufficient magnesium levels, and you may see it start to disappear if your mag gets very low...but I still highly recommend testing it before trying to get your levels in check.

I think I somehow ended up with 2 or 3 salifert Mg test kits. If you will be st the meeting I can sell/trade you one on the cheap...just throwing that out there.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
I've also learned that low mag means calc is low, regardless of how much you dose it. Calc needs mag to be at the right level or it doesn't seem to be absorbed properly.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
The end result of low mag is that calcium carbonate is going to precipitate out of the water, especially when you try to dose either Alk or Ca. In the end, you will end up chasing your tail if Magnesium is low since Alk or Ca levels could already be at their saturation points...calcium carbonate precipitation would effect both Ca and Alk levels; when you dose one or the other, both levels could actually decrease or remain unchanged due to precipitation

In other words...check your magnesium :)

Fitz19d

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Guess I'll be getting a mag test at GW. I don't think I'll be able to make the meet. (Outside a firefish/marine beta not much else I can justify spending on right now)

I am planning on probably getting the fishstreet 3 pump doser that's a clone. 2 part with that, and if I can the top off. (Not sure if I can rig the power to just the one of 3 pumps via float or whether I try to dial in rough amounts to add and just manually add a little top off if it's off after a week. Or maybe a dash of kalkwasser for it.)

Never will be a stick crazy tank though I do have some sps/clam etc. (A 2nd clam would be nice.) Still not sure it's worth the expense/headache of a co2 reactor.