LED question

Metalsniper

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you can reuse the stock moonlights I would probably go with that since it would most likely be the easiest, otherwise Meanwell makes a driver, the APC-12-350 that could be used to power three cree moonlights. The downside to this is that it requires another driver.
As for the heat sink sizing, I am not particularly well versed in biocube design but I'm looking into some of the resources I found when I started designing my build.
Some of the best diy LED sources I have found are from Nanoreef and they seem to be hiding a treasure trove of info.

BowieReefer84: Nanoreef

Jfarabaugh: Nanoreef

Firebirdude: Nanoreef

C Jerome: Nanoreef

And a comprehensive list of DIYs from nanoreef

I think the C jerome one is especially good about answering a lot of questions, but they seemed like the best I found for a biocube 29.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks for all the links.

I'm going to downsize my heat sink to 7.29"x14". I think this will work really good.

The top and bottom black lines are the heat sink edges. I'll probably also put the moonlights through the middle as well. After reading through lots of threads I'm going to stick with the 120 degree optics. Considering most people don't use any at all this could help my numbers at the sand.

Drew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Metalsniper

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Are you going to go with the one stock fan or change that up? I just am worried about heating issues what the LEDs as usual.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I had planned on changing to just 1 120mm fan on the heat sink. I think I may also keep 1 stock sized fan and have that one blow out and the 120 in. I found a fan temp controller, though I don't have a link right now, but not sure if it'll control multiple fans.

Drew

Metalsniper

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
I think that sounds good, the 120 should give you some good flow, just make sure you leave the space for it, most are about an inch thick. I don't really think the fan temp controller is necessary though unless you get a particularly loud fan. If you don't keep a stock sized fan at least make some ventilation, but the second fan sounds like a good plan too.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I was thinking about this temp controller:

http://www.coolerguys.com/840556090885.html

It would let the fan be on it's own power supply and not tied to any of the strings. It would also help it stay on longer than the whites to help cool the heat sink down. I was also thinking about this fan:

http://www.coolerguys.com/840556089827.html

This one is nice as you can wire it for 600 RPM and if that's not enough you can change it to 900 or 1200 RPM fairly easily. This would help to tune the airflow to the heat cooling needs. Not sure if the fan will fit though without cutting down the fins, something I'm not sure I want to do.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
What do you guys think of the above layout and the fan heat controller? I'm actually kinda concerned with the layout, it's going to be really hard to wire with the LED's that close and so many on that heat sink.

Metalsniper

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
The only ones I would be particularly worried about are the ones at the very edges because they will be more difficult to secure down and might get less cooling from the heat sink. In all though I don't think you will have issues with the soldering as long as you pre-tin your wires and led pads. As long as you are organized with how you run your wires I think you should be okay. Plan it all out first, make a grid on your paper and then your heat sink so you know where the leds are going to go. Then pre-cut all of your wires. Use different colored wires for your white and your blue strands so you when you're connecting them you don't mix anything up. Then just make sure you go + to - or you things won't work and it'll be hard to find.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I've seen a lot of guys using thermal adhesive, especially since AquaStyleOnline includes it in their kit. Would this be a problem? Not sure I want to drill and tap 84 holes.

Drew

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
That's what I was thinking. Probably going to order some stuff tonight. Once I get everything in and start on the actual build I'll start a build thread for it. Will also put it in my tank build thread.

Drew

Metalsniper

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Nah, thermal adhesive works fine, but there is still the issue of having considerably less cooling than the rest of the leds at the sides.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
So do you think I should keep the same spacing, but try to get a 16" heat sink, which would put an inch on each side?

Metalsniper

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Or even keep the number the same but add half an inch to the outside edge or something. I mean, with active cooling (a fan) you can typically get a pretty high LED density so I wouldn't worry about the number or spacing and just add some more space around the edge to make sure they get enough cooling. You only need to really add half as much space as is in between the LEDs to the edge. Also remember that you want a very little amount of thermal adhesive. You aren't as much gluing the LED down as you are just filling the imperfections between the metals. Put a small amount (less than a pea) and use a spatula to scrape it flat and that should be plenty. You definitely don't want it flowing out the side of the LED like you often see in peoples build threads.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ok, thanks. I'm trying to do a drawing of the 14"x7.29" heat sink with the 44 LED's, but I suck at Google Sketchup so it's going to take a while. Hopefully this will also help me iron out any other issues I may run into.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
cdrewferd;140780 said:
Ok, thanks. I'm trying to do a drawing of the 14"x7.29" heat sink with the 44 LED's, but I suck at Google Sketchup so it's going to take a while. Hopefully this will also help me iron out any other issues I may run into.
Download the components brah! Also using the Tapemeasure, "T" hotkey, will help you align the centers of the LEDs....FYI

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I ordered the LEDs and they should be here in about a week. Does anybody know where to order a 7.29"x14" heat sink that won't cost me $50-$60 with shipping?

Drew

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
cdrewferd;141851 said:
I ordered the LEDs and they should be here in about a week. Does anybody know where to order a 7.29"x14" heat sink that won't cost me $50-$60 with shipping?

Drew

Boulder has an aluminum recycling place with every kind of aluminum you can think of, $1/lb

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'll check out the place in Boulder.

Drew