Lighting A Cube

fireandice92

Detritus
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hello everybody! I need some advice on what could work and some recommendations. I'm trying to figure out what the heck to light my 93 gallon cube with. The dimensions are 30x30x27. I'm worried about most lights not covering the corners of the tank and leaving shadows. I'm interested in the radion pros by ecotech but i'm just not sure what to do here. Oh and LED's are a must!

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Shadows on the side could be great places to grow less light demanding corals?

I added 2 T5's to my LED's and have been really happy with it. That might eliminate the edge shadows, and if you essentially use them as supplements you can run them for like 4 hours a day and go longer between bulb replacements. My corals responded very well to the added T5's.

Chris_W

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
You could run 2 hydra 52's. I've got two over a 36x36x27 and I'm able to grow SPS in the bottom 3rd of the tank.

If you have any thought on straying from LED's - look at the reefbrite halide/LED combo units. Running one of those over a 93 cube and its' great.

crisc

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
I know you are looking LED's but I have a couple of lights to consider:

Option #1 - I have 2 used Kessil 360W lights with goosnecks and a Kessil controller. $600 total for both and controller/goosnecks
Option #2 - Also have an ATI 8x24" dimmable T5 fixture with mounting bracket. All 8 bulbs included and they are 3 months old. $400
I am going to start my own thread here shortly but thought I would post here first.

Cris

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
crisc;n652688 said:
I know you are looking LED's but I have a couple of lights to consider:

Option #1 - I have 2 used Kessil 360W lights with goosnecks and a Kessil controller. $600 total for both and controller/goosnecks
Option #2 - Also have an ATI 8x24" dimmable T5 fixture with mounting bracket. All 8 bulbs included and they are 3 months old. $400
I am going to start my own thread here shortly but thought I would post here first.

Cris
-1 on the kessils, they can barely penetrate enough for a 24" deep tank. But that 8 bulb would be awesome! Add a reefbrite xho to it and it would be perfect.

Mav

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Following I'm in the same boat. Well water is supposed to stay inside this one I guess. So inverse boat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

newtoreef

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Check out the BRS channel on YouTube, the part about Leds they show par rating on all the new LEDs in a 30x30 tank 6" to 12" to 18 ". I have the same tank and it allowed me to figure out what kind of par I needed for what and base my light build of that, I have the exact same tank. They compare all the top brands really good info!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk